Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MDI shocks mounting eye, how thin is too thin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MDI shocks mounting eye, how thin is too thin?

I had a good look at the shocks I ordered in, the "eye" is very thin, like 1/8" thick at the center, and thinner towards the outsides.

Is this an issue?

I don't mind cheap shocks if they are a tad harsh or not bleeding edge awesome, but no way if they are unsafe...

I put them on a 550E for a friend who's in the 220-230lb range. He's ridden with his 100+lb girlfriend on the back with no problems. Plenty of heavier guys using those shocks & I haven't heard of any issues so far...

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Yeah I haven't found any complaints either, Just seems thin...

If one breaks am I gonna die?

Comment

HI Mr. domino,

My mew MDI shocks should be here soon.

Did you use the included bushings or did you reuse the old bushings? I have it on good authority that the old bushings are actually better than what's included. I'll have first hand experience soon.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I haven't mounted them yet, but I WAS going to give the old bushings a good hard look for that reason. Do you mean the rubber part or the metal sleeve? because they come with plastic sleeves anyways...

Be nice if they made poly bushings that fit, I had a set on an old 4x4 that took a LOT of abuse for a LONG time.

I may wait to hear your opinion on them, give me a shout when you get them

Comment

Originally posted by donimo View Post
            I haven't mounted them yet, but I WAS going to give the old bushings a good hard look for that reason. Do you mean the rubber part or the metal sleeve? because they come with plastic sleeves anyways...

Be nice if they made poly bushings that fit, I had a set on an old 4x4 that took a LOT of abuse for a LONG time.

I may wait to hear your opinion on them, give me a shout when you get them
            Oh no, you go right ahead. Please don't wait for me.

Sure, I'll let you know the skinny after I install mine.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I mounted some mdi shocks a couple weeks ago and the plastic bushing is pretty cheap looking. However, I just went on a 210 mile jaunt yesterday evening and was glad I had them. Much improved. However, my front fork springs need replaced for sure as I was experiencing a little "pogoing" (is that a word?)

Anyway, I'm currently 300+ and so far so good.

Comment

It's just a really cheap bit of injection moulded plastic in the centre of a rubber donut for a bush. You snap off the inner tube yourself & double them up if you need a thinner dia. On the 550 the stock bush would have prob been better quality originally but a. it wouldn't come out & b. it was probably worn out in any case.

No probs running the ones that came with it.

Out of interest I have a set of Koni's for the 1000G, they have a plastic inner inside a rubber donut too - slightly better than the MDI's but not much. I may replace the plastic with a metal spacer (my local Truvalue hardware store has them).

By the way - one word of warning. As the centre spacer is plastic DO NOT overtighten. You'll just squash it....

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I mounted em, haven't ridden it yet (its kinda late) but MAN are they stiffer than the stockers.

whether they are TOO stiff I may never know, but the old ones would drop a good 6 inches when my 250lb butt sat down, now it drops about an inch, maybe 2.

Now for the fronts...

what/how the heck does the air port thingys work? I am not sure there is ANY pressure in there...

Do the fronts need replacing as badly as the rears, or are they supposed to be a bit softer than the rears (longer travel?)?

Comment

Also I just re-used the old bushings, rubber and all. The old ones seemd fine to be honest. If they fail I always have the new ones. I couldnt get the metal part out and they fit perfectly in the MDI's...

Comment

MDI, are those the ones from partsnmore?
                      If not where from?

Comment

Working...
                      X