Brake cylinder sight glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake cylinder sight glass

GS750ESD - Has anyone replaced this on your bike, and if so, what did you use?

I found someone selling these for GS550's http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/suzuk...Q5fAccessories
    and Katana's on Ebay, but they are glass. The old one is plastic and fits in a metal ring that appears to be pressed into the brake cylinder housing. I'm afraid the glass unit won't go in properly to seal.

Any suggestions appreciated.

site glass

For replacement glass- www.newrivercyclesavage.com/ very good price and easy to install. bmac

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post

I found someone selling these for GS550's http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/suzuk...Q5fAccessories
      and Katana's on Ebay, but they are glass. The old one is plastic and fits in a metal ring that appears to be pressed into the brake cylinder housing. I'm afraid the glass unit won't go in properly to seal.
      Those glass ones are actually a watch crystal available from any supplier to the watch repair industry and you will have to seal it with some silicon rubber sealant and the metal ring will hold it in place.A while back I asked an ebay seller about sending to the RSA, but he never replied and I decided not to order and try it.

Comment

Might be just a little bit of work, but what I did is certainly cheap enough.

I got a tip from another motorcycle board, and cut out a piece of 1/8" Lexan. You can find sheets of this stuff at Lowe's, Home Depot, ACE Hardware, etc. for not a lot of money. Remove your old sight glass by whatever means necessary. Clean the hole impeccably with alcohol. Shape your piece of Lexan to fit the hole, but leave about 1/16" around the rim (the diameter of your Lexan will be about 1/8" smaller than the hole, but still larger than the ledge at the back). Mix up some quick-set 2-part epoxy, spread a bead around the ledge, place the Lexan disc into place, spread a bit more epoxy around the edge, forming a good seal. Wait until the epoxy cures, install the master cylinder, fill the system, bleed it, ride.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
          For replacement glass- www.newrivercyclesalvage.com/ very good price and easy to install. bmac
          Thanks and fixed the link for ya'. They aren't open today, but I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Thanks for all the responses.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Might be just a little bit of work, but what I did is certainly cheap enough.

I got a tip from another motorcycle board, and cut out a piece of 1/8" Lexan. You can find sheets of this stuff at Lowe's, Home Depot, ACE Hardware, etc. for not a lot of money. Remove your old sight glass by whatever means necessary. Clean the hole impeccably with alcohol. Shape your piece of Lexan to fit the hole, but leave about 1/16" around the rim (the diameter of your Lexan will be about 1/8" smaller than the hole, but still larger than the ledge at the back). Mix up some quick-set 2-part epoxy, spread a bead around the ledge, place the Lexan disc into place, spread a bit more epoxy around the edge, forming a good seal. Wait until the epoxy cures, install the master cylinder, fill the system, bleed it, ride.

I'll check out the lexan - thx.

Comment

so how much pressure is exerted inside the reservoir anyway? I know that there must be a tiny bit but probably barely anything.

Comment

Originally posted by mighty13d View Post
                so how much pressure is exerted inside the reservoir anyway? I know that there must be a tiny bit but probably barely anything.
                Probably not enough to worry about. I was curious how others attacked this issue. If I don't have to re-invent the wheel I won't. There's lots of experience here so I say 'use it'.

This is a great forum.

Comment

The only pressure on the inside of the reservoir is the liquid sitting in there.

In other words, virtually ZERO.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

would be well worth a try. I fixed one one time. Just super cleaned and filled with JB. Sanded smooth

Comment

I replaced the one on mine after I powdercoated the master...I just re-used the old metal ring and rubber gasket and removed the plastic one and used the watch crystal. No leaks..

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        The only pressure on the inside of the reservoir is the liquid sitting in there.

In other words, virtually ZERO.

Don't use arbitrary numbers like "zero" with me. You know I need something specific so that I understand! Wait, 0 is pretty specific isn't it? nvm

And btw Bribird, that looks killer. I'm jealous

Comment

Don't use arbitrary numbers like "zero" with me. You know I need something specific so that I understand!
                          Just for you, Mighty, I was going to go with "ZERO point something", but I wasn't sure exactly what the "something" was, so I just said "virtually ZERO".

Sorry about the uncertainty.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

besides Steve, I don't believe that replacing the sight glass can be done anyway! I think you're going to have to take my MC and reservoir and replace it for me so that I'll believe you!! Yes... that's it, only will replacing mine for me make me believe!

Comment

Send it to me, include postage for the return trip, I'll do it for you.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X