Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP oil leak after overfill. :(

Well, ive tried to do some searching but apparently nobodys as dumb as me

Turns out i overfilled the engine by a couple extra quarts. (dont ask)

Now i seem to have an oil leak coming from a small hole on the left side of the case. If you look where the gear indicator lights wire into, just above and to the right of that. Its on a horizontal surface so its hard to see. But you can see it with the shifter lever cover in place.

It only does it when it gets really warm. Ive ridden the bike quite a bit around the neighborhood without it starting to drip but i got it out on the street today and opened her up a bit. Got back home and the puddle began.

Now this might be an existing condition from before i got the bike as i never rode it untill after all the frame work was done.

Had to rebuild the carbs, tires and bla bla bla before i could actually jump on it.

Im not sure where to start. Im not familiar with this engine..... yet..... so im not sure if its just trying to get rid of the extra oil still or something.

I did drain completly (from the pan drain bolt) and filled back up.

Any help?

The hole doesnt look to be anything broken or anything. Looks factory made, hopefully for this reason.

Thanks guys

You likely just got some oil into the Mystery Hole cavity when it was overfilled, and it will drip for a little while longer.

Search the forum for "Mystery Hole" and you'll get photos and everything to explain the mysterious mysteries of the Mystery Hole.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      You likely just got some oil into the Mystery Hole cavity when it was overfilled, and it will drip for a little while longer.

Search the forum for "Mystery Hole" and you'll get photos and everything to explain the mysterious mysteries of the Mystery Hole.
      Sounds like an ex-girlfriend...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
        Sounds like an ex-girlfriend...
        now THATS freakin funny!!!!

Looks like it was the starter o ring. replaced it and everything looks to be in order. Plus the starter is lubed for life!!

Thanks guys.

I was concerned maybe after overfilling it and running it, i might have blown a seal somewhere inside the motor.

guess not.

Comment

Working...
        X