Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stuck choke cable...

Hello all,

My '81 750L has the choke cable that runs up the middle of the triple tree & terminates at a knob.

HOW IN GOD'S GOOD NAME DO YOU PULL THAT KNOB UP ??

I've been spraying it with PB blaster for quite a while & giving it a good yank up every now & then, but it's not moving. I've only had the handlebar lever operated clutch control before so I'm thinking there might be something I'm not doing correctly... does the knob twist & lock itself somehow??

The carbs are off the bike (freshly cleaned!!) & now I want to put 'em back on, but I'm trying to free the clutch cable first.

Any suggestions??

TIA

mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

It's possible that there is just too much crud built up inside the sheath that you won't be able to move it. Might be best to just spend a few bucks and get a new cable.

Once you have the new cable, it should move easily, but still have enough friction to stay pulled out when you pull on it.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      It's possible that there is just too much crud built up inside the sheath that you won't be able to move it. Might be best to just spend a few bucks and get a new cable.

Once you have the new cable, it should move easily, but still have enough friction to stay pulled out when you pull on it.
      Thanks Steve,

I was thinking the same, but my "value oriented" brain didn't want to spend any more money...

So I assume from the second part of you answer, the knob doesn't "lock" somehow & it will stay in position through friction??

Thanks,

Mike
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
        So I assume from the second part of you answer, the knob doesn't "lock" somehow & it will stay in position through friction??
        If there is an adjustment for the friction, I must have accidentaly hit it just right when I installed the cable on my son's bike.

Look at any of your favorite parts supplier's fiche for your bike, look at the HANDLEBAR page.
        Here is the link to the page from Bike Bandit. You are looking for item #9, cost here is $17.82.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I bought a choke cable for a garden tractor, cut it to length, slipped it down through the center hole, then put a spot of epoxy glue on it to hold it in place. Total cost including epoxy less than $10.

Comment

One of my choke cables was jammed solid. I discovered that there was a triangular section in there (to keep it oriented?). I finally got it loose by twisting and pulling (make sure the nut on top is loose).

Comment

I used some cable lube on mine when it was unmovable- now it's so smooth it just falls back down when I let go...

Comment

Doesn't the little knurled knob, right at top of the steering head, apply pressure to the cable, so it will stay out while warming up. Be sure that thing is loose.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                  Doesn't the little knurled knob, right at top of the steering head, apply pressure to the cable, so it will stay out while warming up. Be sure that thing is loose.
                  Yep. Careful they crack easily.
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                  X