Are Dyna kits avaible for GS450L?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Dyna kits avaible for GS450L?

Hello I just bought a 1982 GS450 in non-running condition. I was able to get the bike running again for about 3 weeks by installing a new ignitor box from a salvage yard for $50 and a new right side coil for $20 to replace the parts that were burned out. A few days ago the ignitor box I bought also burned out and the bike is dead again{used electrical components are never reliable given it was 20 years old and rusted too}. To buy the ignitor box new would cost me $390 and the signal generator may need to be replaced as well $$$. The signal generator is giving an ohms reading of 70ohms on both sides. Is there a Dyna or other type of aftermarket kit I could replace the stock ignition system with? The closest match to my bike I could find on the Dyna site was kit DS3-3C for the GS400. Would the kit DS3-3C work on my bike? Please send replies to my e-mail address at RobertDBoone@yahoo.com.

Thanks
    Robert D Boone

I'm having trouble with my GS450L ignition too... I haven't been able to diagnose her because I'm very very very very busy in my work (12 to 14 work hours each day) but I'm waiting for the worst...

I'm very interested in replacing the whole ignition system with aftermarket (and new) parts... Is there some Dyna system that can fit the GS450 out of the box (or with little modiffications)???

Thanks everyone!

Comment

What I would do is check around with some of the salvage guys and see if an early points system can be adapted for cheap, witch would only involve a small amount of work, you would of course have to be able to mount an advance unit, to the crank, Just a thought

Comment

I've been surfing the net and it seems that there is a Dyna S for GS twins with mechanical advance (points or electronic), wich is the case of my GS450L (1981).

This Dyna unit must be used with black Dyna coils, that raise the cost of the solution but I think is a well invested money... So I'm going to search for a Dyna S for my bike... after diagnosing exactly what's going wrong with it...

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Not so good news...

I wrote to Dynatek asking about a Dyna S kit for the GS450 and they gave me a negative answer. They said that the DS3-3C (the kit for GS400 twins) will not fit the GS450...

I'm looking once and over again at the Suzuki microfiches comparing the points/signal generator assemblies of variuos bikes (GS400, 450, 550...) and they seem to be different mainly in the base... The rotors are the other different part, mainly (and obviously) between points and electronic ignition bikes... (but all of the subjects of analysis have mechanical advance)

So I was wondering... how much modiffications will be necessary to fit some Dyna S into a GS450???

I am almost sure that with some skill and "McGyverness" it will be possible... but Dyna S are very expensive to try with one an just ruin it...

By now, I need my bike running... and I have variuos possibilities:
          - Breaker point retrofit
          - OEM ignitor
          - Aftermarket ignition with some modiffications

I need some help, guidance and wisdom....

Thanks!!

Comment

Dyna S Kit

I also spoke to a Dyna Rep about my 82 GS450. He said that it should work ***IF*** the collar with the magnet (in the Dyna kit) can be placed on the shaft of the advance mechanism. Now on the 400's, the instructions say to remove the cam from the advance assembly and replace with their collar, then mount their pick up assembly. Now, according to the diagrams that I see, the assembly for the electronic ignitions in the 450's look quite similar to that of the 400's (except the cam versus a set of magnets). My question is, can the original magnets on the 450's advance mechanism be removed, and is the remaining "shaft" the same as a 400's without the cam? If it is, the guy said it should work (maybe need to alter the mounting holes in the pickup flange though). Does anyone have the answer to this? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X