Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 GS550EF clutch lever

guys,

I have wires coming out of my clutch lever that don't go anywhere......what is this?

pictures posted in a few minutes........

Comment

Comment

is this an ignition bypass so the clutch is supposed to be pulled in to start?

Comment

my guess would be: BINGO

I think mine is disconnected too FWIW as I have wires but dont need to have the clutch in, which my front tire can attest to as it hit the garage door...

Comment

On my '86, the clutch lever does have to be pulled in to start. I'd assume those would be the wired for the switch.

Checking the wiring diagram, the starter interlock switch does have two wires, both yellow with a green stripe, which appear to be the ones in your photo.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2009, 05:34 PM.

Comment

They are frequently disconnected, since with 20-year-old wiring harnesses, each 0.3 V can add up quickly.

Comment

That's a clever place to hold spare parts for the front brake light switch.
                It also doubles as a clutch switch so you need to have three hands for starting, but that's a pretty stupid idea.
                Most have been disconnected long ago.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

OK, tkent beat me to it ... again.

Yep, it's a useless 'safety' interlock that doubles as a spare parts bin for your brake switch that will fail sooner or later.

When the switch is disconnected (as yours is) the other ends of those wires need to be connected together. If you can start your bike, it's already been done.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

so I can just bolt it in to the brake lever on the other side to get my brake lights working again?

OUTSTANDING!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X