• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any tips for using mity-vac?

Just got the basic mity-vac(6820) to do cycle brakes and a particularly

contrary Yamaha FJ hydraulic clutch. Which connection to bleeder valve

works(seals) best? The black, "L" shaped 6mm rubber piece, or the small

5/32" clear hose? Any tips I need to know?

Thanks.

Can't give you any particular sizes, just go with whichever one fits.

Tips? Usually about 15%.

Suggestions how to use?
    Sometimes it works better if you remove the bleeder nipple completely, wrap some Teflon tape around the threads and put it back in. This is because the suction provided by the Mity-Vac will draw air from around the threads and you won't know if it's coming from the threads or through the system.

Also keep in mind that it's possible to move a LOT of fluid rather quickly, so keep a good eye on your reservoir. It helps if you have a second person to keep an eye on the reservoir.

Since it's so easy to use the Mity-Vac, start by sucking all the fluid out of the reservoir first. Wipe out any crud in the bottom, then fill with fresh fluid. Now, move to the bleeder and suck. When you see fresh fluid, your whole system will have nice fresh fluid.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve, will try the teflon tape deal.

Do you guys replace the master cylinder gaskets on a regular basis?

Don't know why I have so much problems with moisture/contamination. Bikes are inside,well sheltered. Have to replace fluid yearly without fail, or will have problems. Didn't do my GS for two years and now have a piston stuck or something. Can't believe they can't make a DOT 3/4 fluid that won't absorb moisture.

Comment

Do you guys replace the master cylinder gaskets on a regular basis?
        The gasket is not a regular maintenance item. About the only time this is replaced is when the MC is rebuilt or the reservoir replaced.

Brake fluid should be changed periodically since it attracts moisture. I would think every year or 2 should be sufficient. If it looks brown like coffee it should be replaced. I have been using DOT 5.1 in most of my vehicles and both my bikes. Has a higher boiling point than DOT 3 or 4. Don't confuse with DOT 5 which is a silicone brake fluid. 5.1 can be mixed with DOT 3 or 4 and DOT 5 cannot.

Comment

==============================
          I have been using DOT 5.1 in most of my vehicles and both my bikes. Has a higher boiling point than DOT 3 or 4. Don't confuse with DOT 5 which is a silicone brake fluid. 5.1 can be mixed with DOT 3 or 4 and DOT 5 cannot
          ===============================

Never even heard of DOT 5.1 Is this something new? Is it supposed to be any better about the moisture absorbtion?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave R View Post
            Just got the basic mity-vac(6820) to do cycle brakes and a particularly

contrary Yamaha FJ hydraulic clutch. Which connection to bleeder valve

works(seals) best? The black, "L" shaped 6mm rubber piece, or the small

5/32" clear hose? Any tips I need to know?

Thanks.
            One tip/warning.

I got a mighty vac clone from harbor freight.

in the instructions, it had a caution not to exceed 10" or so of vacum or it would damage something in the brake system.

I had a stubborn bubble I was trying to get, so I would close the bleeder, pump it down a bit, and then open the bleeder; to try to get it to suck the fluid down quick and pull the bubble with it.

Lacking success at getting the bubble, I kept trying a bit more vacum ...

At around 20" something broke ... I got tons of air coming in at the bleeder, but it was not pulling fluid down the line any more.

I suspect it was an O ring in the bleeder that got unseated or something.

Eventually I got it re-seated or it fixed itself, but for 1/2 an hour or so it looked like I turned a quick brake bleeding into a caliper disassembly ...

Comment

Never even heard of DOT 5.1 Is this something new? Is it supposed to be any better about the moisture absorbtion?
              I learned about from a buddy that races cars. Here is some more information on the brake fluid

I use Motul brand which I believe I bought from kneedraggers.com

Comment

Working...
              X