Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Might be a dumb questio, how do you reset the trip odometer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might be a dumb questio, how do you reset the trip odometer?

I can spin it one way and it will go to 999, but no further, after a few km is withh roll over the last 2 digits, but no the first (it goes 999, then 901, 902 etc) turning the otherway unscrews the knob, pushing does nothing...

???

Originally posted by donimo View Post
    I can spin it one way and it will go to 999, but no further, after a few km is withh roll over the last 2 digits, but no the first (it goes 999, then 901, 902 etc) turning the otherway unscrews the knob, pushing does nothing...

???
    Should go to 999 then 000. Does on mine.

Comment

hmmm, mine won't click over, just keep spinning and the numbers twitch a bit, but won't click over dammit...

I wanna find out how many km I get to a tank it's useful knowledge, and the fuel guage HAS crapped out before...

Comment

Some of them have to be pushed in and turned at the same time, some just have to be turned. They do go wrong very easily and you have to split the gauges to fix.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I might have to anyways to lube the tach mech up, what's the fix?

Comment

The usual thing is that there's a tiny little nylon gear that should be attached to a metal shaft - it loosens itself and needs to be glued back on (not sure on your bike thinking about it - you might have a different arrangement). Or, if your lucky, the shaft / gear just seem to get stuck out of alignment and you can just gently prod them back in to line again.

Either that or you get wear on the holes that the shaft runs through which allows the shaft to move and hence the gear misses. This can be shimmed back with a very small shim (?) - I've not explained that very well but you'll see what I mean when you take it to bits.

Or some times the gear just gets worn - it might be possible to carefully reprofile it with a nail file though it's a bit hit and miss.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Remove speedo and install new one.
              Unless of course you split it apart.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

seems that once it gets to 9999 it is harder to click to 0000 than the other numbers? same for you guys?

cause what happens is the knob just spins on the shaft at that point, stupid design, the knurls on the shaft are like the thickness of a feeler guage for tappets...

not sure how to fix this one, if I glue it I cant take it off again to take apart the housing...

Comment

Keep driving until it shows 0000 again.

Sorry, could not resist.
                  1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                  1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

well, I could for sure, but it doesnt seem to read right, its like it hangs at 0000 for a while then clicks over, like fo this tank it seems I will be getting about 80km off a tank? no

plus my gas guage seems to be off by half a tank dammit...

Comment

well, $3 for a new knob, worth a shot, otherwise I might have to just rip the whole thing apart and see whats up.

any other 450 owners with this guage have this issue? 1983+

✓access the SPEEDOMETER - TACHOMETER schematic✓find Suzuki SPEEDOMETER - TACHOMETER spares easily✓OEM parts online available

Comment

I had a similar issue and ended up replacing both the speedo and tach all together. I have a couple gauges in the garage from other 450s ... I'll check to see if there is a decent one you could use for your part(s)

Comment

While I appreciate the offer, mine is in KM, and yours are most likely in miles.

I will just live without a trip meter, just too bad, I, for whatever reason, like to watch how many km I get off a tank in everything I drive.

Comment

Working...
                          X