Need some suggestions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some suggestions!

Was out riding today - beatiful 65 degree day here in Indiana - bike was running fine as usual. Suddenly the engine started to stumble a bit and could get no acceleration, and then totally lost power. Did some investigating and noticed I had blew a 15 amp glass fuse (+ left rear turn lamp). Called a friend who picked me up to get a fuse - replaced the fuse which fixed the power issue, but bike would not accelerate past 40mph. Totally confused - bike was running fine with no issues before today. Any suggestions? By the way, my bike is a 1983 GS450L. Thanks guys.

Well it's snowing here in the Adirondacks (as usual) so I'm not out riding today. Did you check both spark plugs? What 15amp fuse was it, ignition?

Comment

Originally posted by onchiman View Post
      Well it's snowing here in the Adirondacks (as usual) so I'm not out riding today. Did you check both spark plugs? What 15amp fuse was it, ignition?
      It was an ignition fuse and I'm checking the spark plugs.

Comment

Seems like you're on the right track. The fuse blew for a reason. It usually indicates a short occurred in that circuit. Has it blown again? no? I had a pesky kill switch once that caused all sorts of intermittent troubles including blown fuses, bike quitting, starter not working etc. You might check through that circuit. You have points or electronic ignition?

Comment

Check the 4 wires coming off from the key ignition. All mine were bare and somehow would come in contact with one another and blow the main fuse.
          1979 GS850G
          2004 SV650N track bike
          2005 TT-R125 pit bike
          LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

bad ground, for what it's worth
            Gustov
            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
            81 GS 1000 G
            79 GS 850 G
            81 GS 850 L
            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
            80 GS 550 L
            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
            2002 Honda 919
            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Isn't 40 mph on a 450 about 9000 rpm? Aren't you afraid of over revving & blowing it up? LOL!!! Just kidding, I couldn't help myself! Check grounds like stated but I would really take a good look at the wires coming out of the ignition switch also. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                Isn't 40 mph on a 450 about 9000 rpm? Aren't you afraid of over revving & blowing it up? LOL!!! Just kidding, I couldn't help myself! Check grounds like stated but I would really take a good look at the wires coming out of the ignition switch also. Ray.
                Man, that's cold! Kick a man when his bike is down! Thanks for the advice guys - I'll be going through it this weekend. Wish me luck! By the way - 80 degrees here in Indiana today and I was the only bike not on the road!

Comment

Originally posted by notojsjc View Post
                  .. 80 degrees here in Indiana today and I was the only bike not on the road!
                  Don't be too hard on yourself. You forgot the 23% of HD's...
                  McLoud
                  '79 GS850
                  `98 GSF1200 Bandit
                  sigpic
                  http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

Looks like I fried an ignition coil - anyone out there with one to sell for a decent price?

Comment

Working...
                    X