My Homemade Manometer (pics!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Homemade Manometer (pics!)

So after much internet research, and less than 20 bucks, here it is, after growing another 3 feet...

It is 4 half inch OD clear tubes, originally 4 feet, ultimately 7 feet, terminating into a common airtight reservoir, filled with ATF. I stepped the vacuum end down in size twice, once down to smaller vinyl tubing (about 5 feet worth, the "whips"), then down to the size of the vacuum line using a new female bullet connector to splice the 2 together, this also served as a good vacuum restictor! The bench sync was so far off (and i really thought it was very close!) that cyl one was drawing so much more vacuum, that i needed to extend the the tubes to compensate for the error. It didn't matter once I got them close, as you can see in the next 3 pics. These are three different adjustments (after getting them close), with the last one where i left it.

Congrats, how does it run now?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

video

here is a quick video of it functioning...don't pay much attention to what i am saying, I thought i was finished, but I wasn't..The thing was very sensitive, a slight turn of the adjuster would make a big difference. You can see cyl one shoot up with just a litlle turn. Almost no intake pulse.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Congrats, how does it run now?
        Much smoother through out the whole power range now, very noticeable difference. I wasn't really unhappy with the bench, it ran OK, but it was way off! Never assume that it is good enough with getting a vacuum sync on it!

Hey, special thanks to Bob (Baatfam) for donating the vacuum barbs!
        Last edited by Guest; 04-23-2009, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Good job, I like it. It kinda reminds me of the old county fair game where you hit the base pad with a sledgehammer and try to ring the bell at the top.

Yeah, I've learned myself that bench-syncing is essentially worthless. Every time I've rebuilt carbs, bench-synced them, then mounted and synced them properly, at least one, sometimes two cylinders have been WAY off of the two that were pretty close.

Home made manometer, vacuum gauges, mercury sticks, Morgan carb tune, it doesn't matter. You just need some objective method to compare intake vacuum levels, or your bike will never truly run right.
          sigpic

SUZUKI:
          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Good job, Victor...I'm glad to see it all worked out...
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

What type of fitting do you need to access the vacuum in the inlet rubbers and where can you get them? I got a Twinmax on Ebay but it had no adapters.

Comment

I second that question. The lowest price I've seen is about $8 each. That's a big step towards a Morgan Carbtune.
                sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I've read about people drilling down through a socket head screw and epoxying a piece of brass tubing in the socket so a piece of tubing can be attached. Not sure what thread and pitch but the info is in the archives if you care to search.

BTW, great job CV. I love do-it-yourself projects.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Bufallobiff View Post
                    What type of fitting do you need to access the vacuum in the inlet rubbers and where can you get them? I got a Twinmax on Ebay but it had no adapters.
                    Originally posted by themess View Post
                    I second that question. The lowest price I've seen is about $8 each. That's a big step towards a Morgan Carbtune.
                    Z1 sells 5mm adapters for just over $9 a set...

Vacuum Carb Sync Adapter Kit 5mm
                    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Nice job.

Depending on the amount of fluid in your reservoir, you could probably lower the level to the bottom of the tubes, as long as the tubes are still immersed in fluid.
                      That would reduce your overall height of the manometer that much more.

Now, after it's all done (and, you say, worth it), just how much time to you figure you have invested in this project, including all the research, material acquisition and assembly?

How much do you value your time?

How do you plan to store your gauge until the next time you use it?

Do you think that overall, it was worth all the time (and its value) rather than $90 for a ready-made item (that is only about 18" long and won't leak)?

Please, expiring minds want to know.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Nice job.

Depending on the amount of fluid in your reservoir, you could probably lower the level to the bottom of the tubes, as long as the tubes are still immersed in fluid.

Now, after it's all done (and, you say, worth it), just how much time to you figure you have invested in this project, including all the research, material acquisition and assembly?

Do you think that overall, it was worth all the time (and its value) rather than $90 for a ready-made item (that is only about 18" long and won't leak)?

Geeze Steve, some people don't want to spend $90 on something they can make themselves for $10, regardless of how much time they spend. And even if it costs more than $10, the satisfaction and knowledge people learn from DYI projects can not be calculated. This is the GSR, not some late model bike forum where people take their bikes in for oil changes.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          Geeze Steve, some people don't want to spend $90 on something they can make themselves for $10, regardless of how much time they spend. And even if it costs more than $10, the satisfaction and knowledge people learn from DYI projects can not be calculated. This is the GSR, not some late model bike forum where people take their bikes in for oil changes.
                          ...Either way, the end result is what matters. I've made things and had twice as much in them as I could have purchased them for, but it bought me precious time in the shop and at the end of the day, one can always say: "I did it my way".

Nice job on the sync tool. A bench sync gets things close enough to get them running. The final set still needs to be done with the trans fluid...

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                            Yeah, I've learned myself that bench-syncing is essentially worthless. Every time I've rebuilt carbs, bench-synced them, then mounted and synced them properly, at least one, sometimes two cylinders have been WAY off of the two that were pretty close.
                            Either you need more practice or I have been incredibly lucky. I have gotten them close, but you are right that it is not a substitute for a good vacuum sync.

Originally posted by Bufallobiff View Post
                            I got a Twinmax on Ebay but it had no adapters.
                            Unless you have a twin-cylinder bike, the Twinmax is only marginally better than a single gauge and manifold. As C.V. mentioned, it's amazing to see how one small tweak of the screw affects them all.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Nice job.

From personal experience, I know that when you're between jobs, your time can be worth a lot less than than at other times, particularly when something costs the same as a week's worth of groceries.

Speaking of which, hey Victor, how's the job hunt going? Any more leads?
                              sigpic

SUZUKI:
                              1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                              HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                              KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                              YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Working...
                              X