Electrically puzzled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrically puzzled

I rewired my '78 GS750 using the harness and instrument cluster from a '77.
    I've got the lights, turn signals, dimmer switch, brake lights and horn working fine. All of the lights on the cluster work and the gear positions all read properly.

However when I try to start the bike, I flip the switch to run and press the start button.....but nothing happens.

I tested the run switch and push start button using a horn and battery for continuity. Both operate fine.

If I short the solenoid, the starter motor will crank the engine.
    The plugs are firing when the engine is cranking. I am not even getting a click or buzz out of the solenoid. I have tried both solenoids that I have.

So I am looking for what might be the next thing to check.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

You are going to have to trace the wires in that circuit..looking for a break. Check your fuse panel to make sure there is continuity in that circuit. I haven't looked at the wiring diagram but this circuit should pass through the fuse block.

Comment

Same problem ??

Sounds like we are having an LSG epidemic (Lack of Solenoid Ground) .
      Read this link and see if it sounds familiar.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Veez_strom View Post
        So I am looking for what might be the next thing to check.
        Did you pull the clutch?

Or has that been disconnected?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It's your sylonoid ground, Ground directly to the frame or engine not through the conector at the battery box.
          V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Fixed!

You are all masters of the obvious and I bow down as the electrically challenged minion.

I bought a new battery box and painted it up nicely.
            I guess the mounting screw ground was not sufficient.
            After reading the replies, I ran out before work (priorities) this morning and ground the solenoid directly.

We have crank!

One step closer to the test ride

Thanks again.

T-

Comment

I got stuck at Home Despot once because of a bad ground there. I ran a little wire to the frame.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                Sounds like we are having an LSG epidemic (Lack of Solenoid Ground) .
                Read this link and see if it sounds familiar.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=140739
                I know the question has been answered, the problem resolved, but you are entirely correct, as these bikes are getting ready to hit the road for another great riding season, some people have worked industriously (not me) at cleaning and painting their bikes where they are all worthy of being the next BOM, but they won't charge or start. What's the culprit??? That nasty ground wire............Been there, done that, mine's working after another simple, stupid electrical problem (not a ground problem this time) and I've been riding all week now since the weather has lightened up a little here.

Comment

Working...
                X