1980 1000G Clutch cable repair...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 1000G Clutch cable repair...

I just took out a broken clutch cable. My new one appears to be the same length as the old one but I cant seem to get it "tight" enough, no matter how I adjust it at either end.
    The old cable I took out had an "adjustment screw thing" about half way up the cable. I rechecked my part I got and it appears to be "correct" part number for a replacement. Any suggestions?????

Even if you barely thread the clutch cable at the lower point and have the upper adjustment all the way out it doesn't fit? It doesn't fit. Is it a Suzuki part?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

My new cable also had the screw together part in the middle like the old one... Yours is probably aftermarket.

If you have the adjuster all the way out top & bottom, try moving the actuator on the bottom (where the cable hooks in) around clockwise on it's pivot by a spline or two & seeing if that works. It should move it out & take up the slack. You have to remove that little bolt (10mm head from memory) all the way to get the actuator off the splines as it has a groove halfway down the spline to hold it.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        My new cable also had the screw together part in the middle like the old one... Yours is probably aftermarket.

If you have the adjuster all the way out top & bottom, try moving the actuator on the bottom (where the cable hooks in) around clockwise on it's pivot by a spline or two & seeing if that works. It should move it out & take up the slack. You have to remove that little bolt (10mm head from memory) all the way to get the actuator off the splines as it has a groove halfway down the spline to hold it.

Dan
        I'll give that a try-the new cable is Suzuki part. Thanks

Comment

The as long as the inner & outer cable are proportionally the right lengths then any cable should do it. Within reason (i.e. if it will reach or if you can loose any excess behind the light bucket) any length suzuki GS cable will work on any other.

If you have the bottom adjuster maxed out & it almost works (i.e it pulls about half clutch) you are about 1 spline out from memory, maybe two. You could be three or more.

It normally happens because people remove the actuator but forget to reset the splined pivot all the way to one side (you'll see it has about 1/4 turn or so of free play in it) before refitting it.

I've done it, that's how I know
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
          X