Front Brake line lengths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Brake line lengths

I searched the forum and couldn't find this answer. I am taking a guess that someone here has replaced the front brake lines on the 79 750L .

What are the lengths of the three separate lines so I can order the correct ones.

I know I should just build them but I am taking the lazy mans route!

Thanks for the help!

Happy riding!

Rick

Best way would be to measure what you have.

I just used a piece of 10 gage wire I had lying around and formed it to match my old lines. Then I straightened it out and measured it.

Good luck,
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Today 07:38 AM Baatfam Best way would be to measure what you have. I just used a piece of 10 gage wire I had lying around and formed it to match my old lines. Then I straightened it out and measured it. Good luck,
      + 1. Electrical wire is the best way to measure what you have. Some brake lines are measured by end to end dimensions and some are by banjo bolt centerline dimensions depending on which brand of lines you use.
      82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
      81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
      83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
      06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
      AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

String & blu-tack (or tape) is also a good way of measuring curved objects too. It's very accurate.

Comment

String

You have to be careful using cotton string because a lot of it is prone to stretching. I was the one who measured the GS750L for Paragon Performance and mine turned out perfectly. I used a sewing tape (like a tailor uses). I checked it twice and when I was done, I had my wife do it once. All three measurements were the same!
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I forgot about sewing tapes. I've used the missus' tape before too. They are very handy.

Comment

Angles

Oh......and don't forget to take note of the angles and orientation of the banjo joints. That can be almost as important as the hose lengths.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
                Oh......and don't forget to take note of the angles and orientation of the banjo joints. That can be almost as important as the hose lengths.
                I am going to be ordering the precut hose. These screw right onto the banjo joints, right?

Why do I need to know the angles? Is this for line length differences?

Thanks for all the help so far! I will be stopping at Joann fabrics on the way home !

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by ryonker View Post
                  I am going to be ordering the precut hose. These screw right onto the banjo joints, right?

Thanks for all the help so far! I will be stopping at Joann fabrics on the way home !

Rick
                  Hi,

If you are ordering new banjo bolts too, then replace them with the same kind, noting the angle, if they are single or double, etc. Which lines are you ordering? Goodridge? If the instructions tell you to measure just the lines, do not include the length of the banjo bolts on either end (subtract 2 inches from the length between the center of one banjo bolt to the other).

EDIT: If you are re-using the banjo bolts (it's perfectly OK), be sure to use NEW crush washers.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-24-2009, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Angle

Originally posted by ryonker View Post

Rick
                    If you go to measure them, you'll see that the angles of the banjo joints vary from place to place. The reason it's important is because the lines are stiff and rather unforgiving. They need to be pretty much flush with the mating surface. If it's off just a little, you can work with it but if the angle is off considerably, it can be very difficult. A number of different angles are available so make sure you select the right ones!

And remember, the orientation of the angle is every bit as important. In other words, make sure the angle is positioned correctly on the hose.
                    Last edited by chuckycheese; 04-24-2009, 03:06 PM.

Comment

After looking at my brake lines again, it seems pretty obvious I will have to replace all the banjos, right?

The hoses are all crimped inside them, and I can't imagine how they would work with the stanless lines.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                      X