Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#1 exhaust only 74 degrees other three above 110 degrees is check value clearance nex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#1 exhaust only 74 degrees other three above 110 degrees is check value clearance nex

I cleaned my carbs on my GS750 1977 and had sinked and the mechanic tested exhaust out put and number one piston exhaust out put only 74 degrees and all others 110 to 115 degrees so he thinks that the value my be needing an adjustment by replacing the shim. I have read about doing it and have no tool but could check them first and then proceed with getting a tool and a new gasket if needed and replacing by exchanging shims at the Suzucki dealer for $3.95 each. They will not lease the tool and an aftermarket one is $20.00.
    Then he said to check the distributors point cap and manual speaks of a 12 volt test light to do it, I have done it on cars with feeler gauges but this sounds as though it needs special equipment.

The motorcycle runs well my biggest issue is my poor 34 mpg so is the above the steps I should pursue to get to possible blow by of number one piston?
    Last edited by Guest; 04-24-2009, 10:28 AM.

I assume you're not in the US and you're talking temp C rather than temp F.

Exhaust temp is a difficult tool to diagnose with.

Your valve clearances should be checked and adjusted to confirm that they are correct.

All the carb tuning is useless without properly set valves. That $20 investment for the valve tool is one of your best investments.

Contact Steve for his valve adjustment spread sheet.

As far as your points, they should be cleaned as needed and adjusted. A timing strobe light is the preferred method, but a test lamp will get you close.

So yes, your analysis of what you need to do is correct
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

That must be the longest thread title ever.

Comment

I found a bikecliff post by Mr.Matchless that shows and describes an 8 value change shims procedure details for a GS 850 1983 and it will help me and I remember seeing a tool is in the My motorcycle that recembles a tamping tool. So do I go ahead and order the gasket before taking off the valve cover? Also does a car light timing light work on my motorcycle as it attaches by a spring inbetween number 1 spark plug and plug and a clip to it and a ground clip to attach to ground. I am in USA the macanic gave me those degree ratings.

Thanks for the advise my motorcycle has 35,000 miles on it and if the value haven't been checked as they tend to tighten up that could be why the first valve is pressing early and not allowing proper conpression and full burn and allowing gas to escape unused.

Comment

A better way to determine the cylinders health is :

1. A compression test
          2. A leak down test

I've never heard of using temperature analysis, but it's feasible.

So you are correct. Get a gasket, the tool, Steve's spreadsheet, Matchless's 8 valve adjustment and have at it.

Be sure not to rotate the cams when the shims are out. Also, measure the shims to determine their correct size

A car timing light is what I used to use. Just make sure the spring thing matches your spark plug top (screw on cap or not). Like a car, set timing at idle for both sets of points and check for advance
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Well I went home on lunch and have no tool and noticed a little oil leak around the end cam cover near number 1 exhaust port and so will order a tool, gasket etc. Thank you for your advise, I will check all gaps, inventory what I need and then replace one at time and not rotate the cam until after replacing one at a time.

Thank you Big T for your advise, I really do appreciate your taking time to answer both times.

Comment

Working...
            X