Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to start on long sitting project bike? Crank it or NO? (Not a GS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to start on long sitting project bike? Crank it or NO? (Not a GS)

Where to start on long sitting project bike? (Not a GS)

I don't know if this bike has been turned over in the years that it has been sitting garaged. Built in 1985, ridden only 6,000 miles. … crashed lightly, and then sat for long time.

The two bike nuts before me which have owned this bench warmer are very responsible mechanics but I can't verify that they got to spinning the crank very often. The air cleaner box is really clean, as is most every external part - cept for the garage dust.

So, should I just hook up a battery and see it fly? Might this damage any internals? Or would it be best to put penetrating oil in the cylinders and/or open the case and crank the shaft with a wrench. Opening the case is not my favorite option because, unlike the GS's, it would mean draining the oil, sourcing a gasket… blah, blah, blah.

For the interest of lurkers or any other interested parties I'll add a link here to one of my favorite motorcycle troubleshooting and repair resources - DansMC.
    http://www.dansmc.com/
    It doesn't address this exactly, I think. But it is a great source of info (a God sent website.)

Thanks, JC
    Last edited by Guest; 04-24-2009, 02:03 PM. Reason: Splellingl.

I'd pull off the ignition cover and rotate the engine with a wrench before trying the starter.

Pull the plugs first and then rotate with a wrench to see how smoothly it turns. If it turns smoothly, put some Marvel Mystery Oil or penetrating oil in the cylinders and rotate some more.

If all goes well, wait about an hour and try it with a battery.

You don't want any valve/piston interaction or other problems when you crank it with the starter.

Opening the cases at this point is excessive.

Believe it or not, sometimes you can just add gas, choke it and it fires right up.

But we both know a carb cleaning is more likely.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Hi, checked out Dan's site.A keeper for sure. I don't know what to tell you about staring a dormant bike.If it was me,I would put some oil in the cylinders and just tap the starter for a second to see what happens.
      I'm sure some more seasoned advise is forthcoming.
      Good luck.
      http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
      1978 GS1000C
      1979 GS1000E
      1980 GS1000E
      2004 Roadstar

Comment

If there is no way to turn it with a wrench, then take out the plugs and squirt some oil in each plug hole, put it in gear and turn the back wheel if it is on the center stand and see what happens.

Comment

What model is it?
          Water or air cooled?
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

PB Blaster

I had a v65 Magna sat under a tarp for 2 years or so, a good mechanic friend said to fill the cylinders with PB Blaster and let it sit, it is a catalyst and will leach into the rings a piston walls to lubricate and free anything stuck. He was right, it worked. Smoked like a freight train for a few but cleared up and is now being ridden. Good luck.

Comment

There's also electrical considerations - if it were me I'd go through and make sure all the connectors are clean and intact, and use some WD-40 or dielectric grease on them for good measure. A lot of us know what bad stator connections can do to our GS's.

Comment

Working...
              X