Need battery care info...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need battery care info...

Hey guys (ladies included), I have an 82 GS650GL and love it.... wouldnt mind 850 or more but I do like the 50 mpg!!
    Anyway, my question is about my battery. I bought a new one and added the acid then charged it. It worked fine for a while but slowly began to drain. (heres where I look stupid).. better yet.. I'll just ask.. how should the battery be charged? Should it be with a low amp charger? Like around 2 amps? Yes I have used a bigger charger and I think I may have damaged the battery. The battery is about 9 mos old. When I pulled it to look at it, it was half empty. I topped it off but no difference, it still wears down pretty quick.

Again, I believe I have done something wrong..
    Thanks

Battery

I doubt if you've ruined your battery but you may if you don't figure out where the problem is. Your R/R may be overcharging (boiling out your battery fluid) and you may have a bad connection causing a parasitic drain....or both. Take a look at the 'stator papers' and run some checks; you'll probably come up with a pretty good idea of what's going on rather quickly...or more questions which can be answered here.

A slow charger will treat you battery better than a more aggressive one. I prefer the Battery Tender Plus which is a marvelous little gadget!
    Last edited by chuckycheese; 04-24-2009, 03:13 PM.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Even 2 amps is too much -- a 14AH battery should be charged at 1.4 amps or less. You might not have damaged your battery with the charger, depending on how long you left it connected. You might also have a charging issue -- see the stator papers for the diagnosis procedure.

There are small computer-controlled chargers available about anywhere; these work great on motorcycle batteries. Battery Tender is the best known brand among motorcyclists, but the Schumacher chargers at Wally World and Meijer work great as well.
      Last edited by bwringer; 04-24-2009, 09:47 PM. Reason: Corection: that should be 1.4 amps.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Hi Mr. jdfet1,

There is a proper "initialization" procedure. I think this article explains it pretty well.

New Battery, LiFePO4,lithium and AGM/VRLA batteries, BMW, motorcycle, motorcycles, filling, charging,load,test,load-test,anti-sulfating

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I use a 1.5amp charger, I can hear the fluid bubbling when it charges but it doesn't cause any issues or empty it out.

I suspect your high amp charger boiled all that fluid out & may have damaged the plates. You should check out your charging system, if it checks out fine, replace the battery. You need to keep them topped up with condensed water from the store, you could also go AGM for maintenance free & supposedly better charge holding with more cold cranking amps.

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            You need to keep them topped up with condensed water from the store, you could also go AGM for maintenance free & supposedly better charge holding with more cold cranking amps.

Dan
            Hi Dan,

I think you mean distilled water.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Hi Dan,

BassCliff
              No he's English, they all talk funny over there.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi Dan,

BassCliff
                I am not so sure that distilled water is absolutely necessary, I have read that "drinking water" ie tap is adequate. For the small quantity used to refill a typical battery, this wouldn't have any harmful effect. Just don't try to fill with battery acid, the acid content didn't boil off, only the water.

Sometimes, if the battery has been boiled even partially dry, it will never come back, especially if it has sat in this condition for any length of time. Personally, I would spring for a new battery and remove any suspicions.

Comment

Hi,

Just be sure and DO NOT use any of that dehydrated water. There's nothing to that stuff.

BassCliff

Comment

Hi,

Just be sure and DO NOT use any of that dehydrated water. There's nothing to that stuff.

BassCliff

Once you rehydrate it, its fine. Kind of reconstituted though.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Over and over

Let's see how many posts we can get that say pretty much the same thing...(check your system, use a slow charger).

"Brevity is the soul of wit" (W.S.).....
                      Last edited by rockford; 04-25-2009, 11:22 AM.
                      1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

Hard water

Originally posted by waterman View Post
                        I am not so sure that distilled water is absolutely necessary, I have read that "drinking water" ie tap is adequate. For the small quantity used to refill a typical battery, this wouldn't have any harmful effect. Just don't try to fill with battery acid, the acid content didn't boil off, only the water.

Sometimes, if the battery has been boiled even partially dry, it will never come back, especially if it has sat in this condition for any length of time. Personally, I would spring for a new battery and remove any suspicions.
                        I think much of the discussion regarding distilled water has to do with the fact that so many parts of the country have 'hard' (mineral rich) water. In other parts of the country, tap water will work just as well and cause no more problems than truly distilled water.

By the way, Rockford does make a good point. Some of these themes get the absolute hell beat out of them.
                        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

My WAG (wild a$$ guess) is that the charging system is overcharging and boiling out the fluid. 2 Amps to charge the battery is high, but shouldn't distroy it. Time to check the Stator Papers (do a search if you don't already know what this is).
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                          X