Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My seat is stuck

Hey everybody,

I just need to get at the battery, but my seat is stuck. I've tried to wiggle it different ways but I can't seem to get it to come off. Anybody ever come across this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks

What model bike do you have? Not all GS's have the same release system or latching mechanism on the seat. Mine is a GS850L with the seat lock in the rear and I have to press down on the rear of the seat (with a lot of pressure, it's an aftermarket Saddlemen King/Queen) while turning the key to get it to release.

Comment

What bike do you have? Have you had the seat open before?

Seats are hinged on one side and are secured on the other side with a lock bolt, keyed identically to your ignition and gas cap. At least that's stock. If your key seems to be turning correctly then it's possible that the lock is broken. The bolts are held shut with a spring, which allows the seat to close without the key, similar to a door. It may be possible to work a thin screwdriver to push the bolt back and open open the seat that way.

On some of these bikes you can remove the side panels and access the battery without opening the seat. On my 80 550 for instance, I can pop the botttom of the side panel out and lift it off the top tabs. Be careful not to force anything, the tabs are known to break. Slightly lifting the gas tank can help.

Other bikes have the side panels secured by a nut on the inside and can't be removed in this fashion.

If you can get the side panels off, it may just help you see whats going on with the seat. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks, I will try the side panels when I get a chance.

I have an 83 GS550. It has a lock on either side of the bike. I have taken the seat off before, but not since last fall.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X