New plugs have different connection than leads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New plugs have different connection than leads

I have just installed my new plugs (NGK B8ES). The old ones were (NGK BR8ES).

I noticed that the nipple end of the plug on teh old ones is threaded, where as the new ones are not and are larger. The leads will not go on the pugs. Should I get new leads, or revert back to the old plugs for now?

Re: New plugs have different connection than leads

Originally posted by TheGeneral

I noticed that the nipple end of the plug on teh old ones is threaded, where as the new ones are not and are larger. The leads will not go on the pugs. Should I get new leads, or revert back to the old plugs for now?
    please tell me why you did the change from what seems to be a resistor plug to a non resistor. Are you sure that you just don't have to screw the top off the new
    plugs to expose the threaded part under it

Comment

Slopoke,

I'll try that.

What's the diff b/w resistor and non-resistor plugs?

Also because the bike has been sitting for a few years. I am trying to see if it will run. Should I change the ignition system to a dyna S or similar operation?

Comment

Slopoke,

I'll try that.

What's the diff b/w resistor and non-resistor plugs?

Also because the bike has been sitting for a few years. I am trying to see if it will run. Should I change the ignition system to a dyna S or similar operation?
        if your original plugs were resiastor then stick with them

who told you to change

Comment

Resistor plugs are made so when sparking they do not interfere with radio signals or cell phone signals. Unless you have your kenwood duct taped to your handlebars there will be no need to use them and no change in your engine's performance. I once bought B8EV (one with the special tips) and it had an unthreaded top and could not be removed. I know there is B8ES that you can remove the top, I guess you got an oddball one. If your ignition systems functions properly I would leave it until it breaks.

Chris McCarron

Comment

http://www.ngkspark.com.au/spark_plug_FAQS.htm Here is a spark plug FAQ list its interesting reasding

Comment

Re: New plugs have different connection than leads

B8ES is the right spark plug for your bike. The nipple is removable. Just get some pliers and screw it off.

Never understood why they put that little adaptor on the spark plugs. It doesn't seem to fit any bike

Comment

Spark plugs work just fine, or at least the little thingy screws off.

Thanks guys.

Comment

The nipple is there in case you switch to automotive type caps.

Comment

I bet there are cars that use the same plug, else why would I be able to but them in an auto parts store. Isn't the B8ES a non resistor plug? I don't know, I just thought the R would stand for resistor.

Comment

It is interesting that you had a resistor plug in, as the standard plug caps have a resistor built into them! No need to use resistor plugs, especially so if you have the resistor caps.

I have used automotive style plug ends, so the caps can be useful

Comment

Working...
                      X