Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

79 GS1000L bad noise in motor, lots of stuff in oil.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS1000L bad noise in motor, lots of stuff in oil.

My 'project' 1000 L finally got 'done' enough to to get insured, registered, and I took it to the store.
    4 miles.
    When I got back, I changed the oil ( for the first time since I got it last year).( oops.)
    The oil looked like it was more 'liquid copper flakes' than oil.
    Actually, it was very pretty in the bright sunshine. Like realy dark 'candy copper paint'.
    I put a new filter in, and 4 quarts of BelRay 10-W40, and now I have a horrible noise coming from the starter clutch area. or the bearing behind it ????
    It started making this noise only on decell, after I blip the throttle.
    but now it makes the noise as soon as it starts, but not so much when it spins faster than idle speed.
    I have not driven it since the noise started, and there is maybe 3 minutes total run time ( at idle) since I realized something is very wrong. I took the side cover off, and the idler gear shaft looks great, the teeth all look great, and the clutch feels.... I don't know what it should feel like, but there is no 'obvious' wobble, it spins smoothly, and grabs as soon as I try to go the other way.
    Could my problem just be the starter clutch bearings? or like the bike shop said "the crankshaft bearings are coming apart... you need a motor." ???

Any info is welcome,... and since I have nothing to loose, I'll start working on finding a flywheel puller. (anyone know what thread I need? )

Sounds like the 3 allen head bolts behind the starter clutch have come loose, take side engine casing off, then take the rotor off, (DONT WHACK IT OFF) and see if they have come loose or fallen out, they should have been loctited in from factory.

Comment

Thanks for your help !
      I am really hoping this is what went wrong.... I'm not sure I will continue with this project if the problem is 'deeper' than this.

Do I need to buy the 2 pc puller set, or is the 16 mm "bolt" with rh threads all I need?
      Or do I really need the ' 3" deep socket' to go with the other pc.?

Pete

Comment

Copper color in the engine oil is something that you never want to see. Ever. My guess is that you took out a bearing on one of the connecting rods. Because of you saying that it only happens when you let off the throttle. When you let off the throttle the engine load drops on the pistons causing the piston to hit the head making your "Bad sound". sounds like an expensive day to me. Not saying that it is this but it would be what I would start to think.

Comment

that's exactly what the bike shop said was wrong... bearings on the crank.
          I'm still hoping it's the washer behind the starter clutch, but there's not much hope around here. I'm just not that lucky.

But the shop did say.."call back next week, I might have a motor for you".

If not, it's looking like "parts or whole" on Craigslist.

Comment

Copper in the crankshaft bearings? Not positive but that doesn't sound right. Plus, GS cranks are killer tough. Sometimes they twist, or the bearings could corrode, but they don't just come apart unless the bike has 100,000 miles on it.

I'd focus on pulling the starter clutch out. You are going to need a special puller - about $20. Only way to know is to take it apart.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Does the starter turn the motor?
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                Does the starter turn the motor?

she starts in 2 seconds.. battery is a year old, without use, so it's a little weak, but there seems to be nothing wrong with the starting system.

the noise sounds like it's from the area of the started clutch, so I'm "hoping for a miracle" at this point...

the audio is.. "disapointing", but you might hear the rattle. I'll try to get better sound tomorrow.

Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2009, 06:40 PM. Reason: I'm stoooooopid

Comment

I wouldn't bother getting better sound. Get that cover off so you can look inside. Maybe the rotor is loose?
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

99% chance it's not the bottom end. This bike uses roller bearings.

Is it clutch chatter? These bike have a god-awful clutch chatter at idle. Sounds like you have bolts bouncing around in the sump.
                    Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Originally posted by feelergaugephil View Post
                      Sounds like the 3 allen head bolts behind the starter clutch have come loose, take side engine casing off, then take the rotor off, (DONT WHACK IT OFF) and see if they have come loose or fallen out, they should have been loctited in from factory.
                      Yep, sounds like starter clutch to me. You will need a special tool to remove the rotor. If copper is present in the oil it may have destroyed your stator

Comment

There is a brass or bronze washer on the left end of the crank, behind the rotor & starter clutch, & you will see it when you remove the rotor. Start there. If it is going away it would put metel in the oil the same look as you are describing. Ray.

Comment

Thanks to everyone....

Do I need the 2 pc 'rotor removal set" or just the 16mm "bolt" with reverse threads to the the rotor off ?????

Pete

Comment

like folks said do the simple thing first check the starter clutch assembly and hope its that, otherwise there is a good chance it's your copper washers/bushing that keep the big end of the rods from moving left and right.

A good trick to keep hot rod motors alive is every time you change your oil cut up your oil filter and strech it out and look for gold flakes, if you have gold flakes and know every elese is good, time to rebuild your crank.
                            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                            82 Kat 1000 Project
                            05 CRF450x
                            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
                              like folks said do the simple thing first check the starter clutch assembly and hope its that, otherwise .....
                              Yes, that's the plan.

can someone answer the question, please ? ... 1 pc puller or 2 pc ??

Thanks !

Comment

Working...
                              X