Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

79 GS1000L bad noise in motor, lots of stuff in oil.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did you go to basscliffs website yet and download the gs1000 factory service manual?

The rotor puller is a special tool, not just any puller.

do a search on "rotor puller" on the site so you can see what is up.
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

You actually dont need a puller!!!!!!
      Some may say "Man that's rough doing that" But the way I have always done it is......

Remove the swing arm main bolt (but put a long screw driver in its place) the thread should be the same as the rotor, if not, remove the rear wheel spindle bolt, this should be correct.
      One of the two bolts DOES fit.

Get some small washers that will fit inside the threaded hole (on rotor) once inside, screw the spindle in as tight as you can get it, then use a RUBBER (not metal) hammer and as you hit the rotor it should start to back off, failing that, unscrew the spindle and put a large socket on the spindle, put back in thread and tighten it up, then use the large socket as a slide hammer, do this a few times then retighten and so forth, THIS WILL REMOVE the rotor without the special tool to get it off.

Then look to see if the 3 allen bolts are loose, need more help, just post.
      Phil.

Comment

looks like the rotor has reverse threads...
        I have a "box-o-bolts" from a Ya-mama 650 Special that had a bad day, and have a correct size bolt. But the treads are 'rh' in the rotor.

So after checking around the search feature, { thanks first-timer} I realized I was asking the wrong question.
        Is a puller from "parts unlimited" good enough?
        " " " " "ebay" good enough ?
        Or do I have to buy Official Suzuki puller ?

Comment

Originally posted by exdirtbiker View Post
          looks like the rotor has reverse threads...
          I have a "box-o-bolts" from a Ya-mama 650 Special that had a bad day, and have a correct size bolt. But the treads are 'rh' in the rotor.

So after checking around the search feature, { thanks first-timer} I realized I was asking the wrong question.
          Is a puller from "parts unlimited" good enough?
          " " " " "ebay" good enough ?
          Or do I have to buy Official Suzuki puller ?
          I guess my post above this is invisible!

Comment

What post...........

Comment

The one right above where he explains how to remove the flywheel without buying any tools, and even points out the source for the correctly-sized bolt to do the job.

Bear in mind that the threads on the swingarm bolt are short for the job - so you need to stuff something down in there. I tried a nut that looked like it would do the job just great, but wound up getting stuck in the threads in the crankshaft. Fortunately the reason I was removing the flywheel was to replace the crankshaft. Would have sucked otherwise. An allen bolt probably would have worked better.

You could also just go buy an M16x1.5 bolt with longer threads. I think that's the right size (you could take the nut off of the swingarm and take it to the hardware store to try it on for size).

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                The one right above where he explains how to remove the flywheel without buying any tools, and even points out the source for the correctly-sized bolt to do the job.

Bear in mind that the threads on the swingarm bolt are short for the job - so you need to stuff something down in there. I tried a nut that looked like it would do the job just great, but wound up getting stuck in the threads in the crankshaft. Fortunately the reason I was removing the flywheel was to replace the crankshaft. Would have sucked otherwise. An allen bolt probably would have worked better.

You could also just go buy an M16x1.5 bolt with longer threads. I think that's the right size (you could take the nut off of the swingarm and take it to the hardware store to try it on for size).
                Thank you sir!

Comment

OK, the "RH thread" description on the pullers had me convinced it was "reverse thread".
                  So I pulled the swing arm bolt just to prove Phil wrong, and... errr.... crap. It worked.
                  I guess my blonde hair is no lie.
                  Can we call it a "senior moment"? Please ?

The bolt I was using before was the right size, wrong pitch.

So now for the verdict....... { drum roll, please }

There is nothing wrong with the starter clutch.
                  So my local bike shop was correct, and I have a bad crank bearing.

Anyone have a spare motor laying around?
                  will anything besides the 78-79 gs1000 (chain drive) motors fit in there?

Just for the record... I think I owe Phil a beer.

Comment

U don't need another engine, just rebuild yours, get a manual, its extremely easy, if its the outer bearing thats shagged you can replace that, but if it's the inner ones it will have to be pressed apart, try find a crank on ebay or bottom end, how many miles on your engine? they usually dont start mesing up until 80k or more or infrequent oil changes.
                    Like I stated, get a manual and do it yourself.
                    (Oh, I don't drink,, so a burger will do mate!)

Comment

I have the 1980 GS1000 manual downloaded.
                      Are there any differances worth noting from 79 to 80? ( besides the carbs)

Or should I just go buy a Clymer book?

Comment

the 80's manual you downloaded should also be for the 78 and 79 for some reason it has been named the 1980 one. if it's not let me know and i will get the full version over to basscliff
                        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                        82 Kat 1000 Project
                        05 CRF450x
                        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

the cover page says "printed July 1980" "99000-85850 4E3 "

how do you tell if it's the same a the 78-79?

Or did I screw this up? Again ? ( I'm on a streak !!! )

Comment

The base level GS1000 manual is all you need to crack the engine. The later years are supplements to the base manual. You should be fine if you download from Basscliff's site.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Pictures !

There is 4 miles on this oil.

Pretty, aint it ???
                              The motor is upside down, on my workbench. I pulled the bottom pan, and found all the "gunk".
                              I can see all the copper washers on the crank from the bottom... they look OK.
                              So.... I think I blew a needle bearing cage on a rod ?
                              I'll know by tomorrow.

'Sometimes you're the windshield...."
                              Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2009, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Thanks again to everyone..
                                I have 2 posts about this bike, so let me 'foreward' it to here:
                                This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                                X