Neglected 79 GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neglected 79 GS850

I'm picking up a 79 GS 850 that has been sitting in a yard with grass growing around it for 7 years. I have visions of restoring it but I was wondering if there are still plenty of parts available for it and where can I get them. I first want to see if I can get it started before trying any mods. That alone may take some time. i.e. Battery, plugs, check if engine will even turn over. Thanks for any suggestions in advance.
    Spidey

you can get parts through any Suzuki dealer, and even some non- Suzuki dealers can get some parts for you. you can also get parts on-line at www.bikebandit.com or do a search for "Suzuki gs parts"

after sitting for seven years, the carbs may need to soak for quite a while to soften up and get out the sludge that is left over after gas has sat that long.

Comment

What do you suggest soaking the carbs in?

Comment

berrymans B-12 carb cleaner it comes in 32 oz cans and also 1 gallong cans, very good stuff (made in Texas!!) another product is Seafoam, I thin kit is the same stuff but with a differant label.

Comment

I would not seperat them from each other, dissamble them as much as you can and get 6-8 cans of spray carb cleaner. The slides may be stuck?? DON'T force them. Use a penetrating catalyst spray and let them soak. Or put them in very hot water, maybe put them in the oven on LOW 150 temp. The carbs need to be heated to break the slides loose

Comment

If you gonna have to tear into the carbs might as well order a set of O rings from Robert Barr. & years is a lot of time for them to be covered in that junk.

Comment

Robert's O ring kit is for the CV vacuum carbs only, not the VM slide carbs

Comment

79 should have a kickstart, so you can turn the engine over without the starter.. and of course it should have ignition points.. have fun

Comment

79 should have a kickstart, so you can turn the engine over without the starter.. and of course it should have ignition points.. have fun

Comment

Before turning it over gently, it would be worth removing the spark plugs and leaving some oil to soak in the cylinders. The rings may be frzen or stuck to the bores.

Comment

I too just recently aquired a 79 850, and the only parts that I've had trouble getting are front calipers, suzuki has discontinued them and its even tough to find rebuild kits for them, but other parts such as carbs and kits and the like have been fairly easy.

Comment

OK, I got it and here's what I know so far. I need clutch and brake cables, tires, and a kick handle for the kick-start. It is missing and looking at the crank I'm not sure if it is stripped or not. Thanks for the advice. I will try everything. Cosmetically it needs new paint and two side covers. I think the clutch is stuck in the engaged position. With the cablle broke I can't pull the clutch and the bike rolls in all gears. Sooo I guess I have my work cut out for me. I hope this thing will run.

Spidey

Comment

Working...
                        X