not a gs but

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not a gs but

Since a lot of you are motor savy I thought I would ask.Two cycle triple old kaw.Friend just bought, ran like, well like hardly. Got carbs apart and two of them, the needles were stuck in seat.The po told him it ran good last spring sat until fall than when he started it, it did not run very good.What I was wondering is should we just clean them, put old one back in or wait [I hate waiting] and order new.What I was surprised about was gaskets seemed new and everthing looks clean??? BTW the needles look like they have rubber tips not sure but the tips are orange
    Last edited by tlg1100; 04-26-2009, 03:36 PM.

i had mine apart several times its a 350 kaw, they are rubber tips
    clean them up and put them back on and try
    make sure the oil pump is pumping, as you can blow the engine, its common for the pumps to stop working

so run mix until you can make sure the oil pump is pumping

Comment

It's pretty dodgy to add oil to the petrol on a stroker designed to run with an oil pump - you'll effectively be weakening the mixture. This is particularly risky on a triple as the centre pot runs hot anyway.

Clean the carbs absolutely scrupulously and bleed the oil pump (take it off and test that it works first). Make sure that it's synched in properly with the carbs as well.

The Kwackers were pretty hot running bikes so making sure that your fuel, lubrication system and your ignition timing are spot on are key
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

you have to rotate the pump alot to see if it is working
        you cant just kick it over and see oil pumping out

so if you run it on mix
        and have a small container of 2 stroke oil runing to the pump then run the motor you can watch the oil level drop down
        ( i used a gear oil funnel cap thinggy, stick it in the oil line to the pump and fill with 2stroke oil)
        start it up and watch the level
        if the level starts to drop then you know the pump is working
        then you should go and crack the banjo bolts at the engine to see if they are each pumping oil out

befor you put the carb runners and the airbox on make sure you sync the carbs

also, pull out the baffles out of the end of the pipes and make sure they are not glogged up

Comment

thanks for info,I kinda like friends triple.I think he said it was h-2 or h-3 750cc late 1960s or give or take a few years.

Comment

lots of info there

Comment

Thanks for the link and advice,We cleaned carbs and were about to put them back on,but were going to look into oil pump more, dont think its working

Comment

Working...
              X