Carb #3 Air Mix Screw Closing itself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb #3 Air Mix Screw Closing itself

I have a 81 GS650G. I just finished rebuilding all the carbs. I was riding it, testing the mix settings and suddenly the idle jumped, then dropped and it died. Wouldn't start. After checking all tubes, wires, etc. I then checked the mixture settings on the carbs and found #3 had closed completely. I adjusted it back to 3 turns to match the others, went riding and sure enough after a few minutes the idle started jumping, then died and wouldn't start again. Checked the mixs and sure enough #3 closed again.

How do you keep it from closing itself? would an oring or threadlock keep it in place?

Threadlock and an o-ring would help, as would a spring. :twisted:

Comment

The screw should have a spring to keep that from happening and an o-ring to seal against air getting past the threads. I wouldn't use threadlock.

Comment

Billy, this is the mix screw on the outside of the carb. I removed all of them as I was rebuilding the carb to clean, etc, and not one of them has a spring or Oring. They are silver, and screw in, and have a vert sharp point on the bottom. Kinda like a pilotjet, but instead of the large jet on the end, it's a sharp spike.

The others hold their setting fine, but this one closes off for some reason. It does feel a little "looser" in it's threads than the others. The others you feel some resistance as you tighten / loosen them, but this turns pretty freely.

Comment

Addendum -

I did notice while rebuilding the carb today that some joker really did a crappy job on these carbs. There's a pilot on one carb that had no slot anymore for a screwdriver to grab, and a jet that screws into the bell mouth (i think) that was this way too. I cleaned as well as i could, and they flow freely, but that really cheesed me off. I wish people who don't know would quit thinking that all they need to do is use more Ommph! What could have been saved is now hopelessly mangled! Anyone know how to get a mangled jet out?

PS - If I do need springs and o-rings for the mixture screw, wherecould I get them?

Comment

What I had used to get my mangled pilot jet out was a chain saw chain file. As odd as it may seem, it worked it has a thin square end that usually has a handle over it. I taped the square end into the pilot jet and used a wrench to twist it out, worked just like an easy out! I did take great care when tapping it in. However if you have easy out bits small enough they will do the job. I didn't so I had to improvise. Check with your local Suzuki dealer they should be able to source O rings and a spring if one is required or at least be able to provide you with that information.....

Comment

Go to http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/
              They are the source for all carb parts.- cheap too
              I just ordered a pilot screw from them, it came complete with washer o-ring and spring-$12.95.
              Good luck : )

Comment

Working...
              X