silverstar H4 bulb upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

silverstar H4 bulb upgrade

I am upgrading my oem H4 bulb to the Silverstar H4 bulb. I don`t know what relay to use and how to connect it.
    sigpic1979 GS 1000E
    Southside Chicago

Different application but it should help you figure the connections out.

Comment

If you already have an H4 bulb, you should not need a relay.

However, if your voltage at the headlight socket is not within a volt of battery voltage, you might need to consider a relay.

Try the bulb swap first, then see if you need the relay.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the info will get the bulb tomorrow.
        sigpic1979 GS 1000E
        Southside Chicago

Comment

In case you do the relay mod here is info from Focus Frenzy.

"ok here goes, this will be typical of most bikes but not all models, smaller models will be differant but this will give you a idea of how it is done.

first get some wire of a gauge heavy'er then ste gauge used in the stock harness, also pick up a inline fuse holder and a "potter& Brumfield" VF4-15F11-Z01 relay or equivilant, these can be purchased at any auto parts/spares dealer for under $10 US you will need a 15 amp fuse for the inline relay (I am using a 20 amp fuse) and a 7-1/2 amp fuse to take the place of the 15 amp fuse in the stock fuse holder, you will also need several but conectors and four female spade connectors.

you will first have to disconnect the ground wire from the battery, to prevent shorting out any wires while rewiring it.

find a good location to mount the relay, if you get a relay for driving/fog lights they will come with a mounting ear, or if the relay you have does not have a mounting ear you can just use a nylon zip tie to secure it.

first cut the red wire coming out from the regulator and using a extension if nessisary run it to where it can reach the "30" terminal on the relay.
          you will run a wire from the positive terminal on the battery and run it to the relay and splice it and the red wire from the regulator usind a female spade connecter and plug it in to the "30" terminal on the relay, this will provide the relay with power and give the regulator out put a easy'er path to the battery.
          next locate the orange wire that comes back from the ignition switch and splits to three wires before intering the fuse box.
          cut this wire and splice on extensions to extend both ends to the relay.
          the end that came from the ignition switch will conect to the "85" terminal of the relay, this is the terminal that energizes the relay.
          the other end that goes into the fuse box will connect to the "87" terminal of the relay, make sure not to connect it to the "87a" terminal, if your relay has it, this will make every thing stay on till you turn on the key.

you will now need to run a wire from the "86" relay terminal to a good ground sorce, like at the mounting ear for the starter relay.
          make sure the wire end where you cut the regulator red wire is sealed up to provent it from shorting on any thing, reconnect the battery ground and give it try!!
          here is a rough diagram of the changes, my brother is a CAD draftsman and is going to draw up a better design for me on his computer at work, I willput that up as soon as he is done with it."

Comment

Working...
          X