83-86 550 2 barrel carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colorado85gs550 View Post
    K&N discontinued production on them and when I emailed the K&N customer service people they asked for measurements for some custom builds..........

rapidray confronted me about a contact he has with K&N and we started the ball rolling on this!
    Ahhhh ok. He probably has the correct ones then, just got lucky enough to get them from someone or prior to them being discontinued. Those ARE some goofy carbs. I still dont completely understand why they went that route with the design, other than perhaps space savings..

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      Shouldnt be too tough. I must admit though I was doing ALOT of cussing when working on that same model. It HAS to be the single hardest GS to get the carbs in and out of. Taking the battery box out is helpfull in getting an extra 1/2 inch or so of wiggle room. Also, when you goto put that boot back on, give the boot a shot of PB Blaster or WD40 for some lubricant, it will help. And if you have a hair dryer or a heat gun, it also helps to heat the boot up so its nice and plyable.
      True. I always end up removing the igniter & fusebox & battery box. New boots are pricey for a piece of rubber, but are well worth the savings in aggravation. I've done it enough now that it only takes a few minutes for the whole thing.

Comment

Ahhhh ok. He probably has the correct ones then, just got lucky enough to get them from someone or prior to them being discontinued. Those ARE some goofy carbs. I still dont completely understand why they went that route with the design, other than perhaps space savings..
        It probably did have to do with the space they were working with. The 550 is a pretty compact engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
          It probably did have to do with the space they were working with. The 550 is a pretty compact engine.
          It is indeed. Something I found amusing though, that motor FEELS like it weighs more than the 750 of the same vintage. I happened to have had to move both around Jim (RageZro) shop one day, and i swear the 550 felt 20lbs heavier. Bigger holes on the 750 i guess..lol All in all, that lil 550 design is pretty cool. The one I happened to be working on had the whole late model Kat suspension swap done to it, and talk about flickable. I am one of those who doesnt care for the highpressure motors, for durability reasons, but its pleanty punchy, even with my big ass on it. Fun little bike.

Comment

I'm in the process of doing that complete Katana swap......I have the Katana wheels with NEW tires waiting for my front end to be completed and I just got my 99 GSXR750 rear shock for it too

Comment

I'm in the process of doing that complete Katana swap......I have the Katana wheels with NEW tires waiting for my front end to be completed and I just got my 99 GSXR750 rear shock for it too
              Thats about all it is isnt it? I think this one had a GS700/750 swinger on it for a lil more beef maybe, and the guy who did it ( a member on here, cant remember his handle off hand) machined the sprocket carrier a lil bit for spacing reasons. Pretty clean mod. If you didnt know any better you'd swear it was stock.

Comment

I opted out of the GS700/750 swingarm as I'm going with the 3.5 inch Katana rear wheel so a 140/70-17 rear will fit the stock swinger.......I'm actually trying to find the right color ORANGE right now to paint my wheels.

Paint scheme is going to be mostly White with some cool Orange/Reds with Orange wheels, Orange grips, and Orange windscreen......stands out this way!!

Comment

I opted out of the GS700/750 swingarm as I'm going with the 3.5 inch Katana rear wheel so a 140/70-17 rear will fit the stock swinger.......I'm actually trying to find the right color ORANGE right now to paint my wheels.

Paint scheme is going to be mostly White with some cool Orange/Reds with Orange wheels, Orange grips, and Orange windscreen......stands out this way!!
                  Well with the 17inch wheels, that fairing of yours MIGHT not drag the ground now But, if it doesnt work out, and you want to let it go...I would be interested.

Comment

Well with the 17inch wheels, that fairing of yours MIGHT not drag the ground now But, if it doesnt work out, and you want to let it go...I would be interested.

since it came off another 550 I'm assuming its already been cut to fit.......but if it hasn't then we'll see!

side fairings should be here by Friday, lower scoop should be here by Saturday hopefully....

Comment

I did find both OEM full lowers for my bike for $200 plus shipping from Canada if these ones don't work for me.

Can't pass up trying these ones at the cost of shipping only first though

Comment

did you get the measurements ray?

Comment

That was Rich .. Zig06

Here is the post where he talks about machining down the carrier ..

Thats about all it is isnt it? I think this one had a GS700/750 swinger on it for a lil more beef maybe, and the guy who did it ( a member on here, cant remember his handle off hand) machined the sprocket carrier a lil bit for spacing reasons. Pretty clean mod. If you didnt know any better you'd swear it was stock.

Comment

Working...
                          X