Engine noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine noise?

I ride a 1982 GS650GL. There is a clicking noise that my bike makes when idling when I first start it, and since it is my first I'm not sure what is normal noise and what isn't.

clicking noise: Ta-ka-ta (pause)

The noise and the pause take the same length of time. The bike idles at just over 1000 rpm.
    Once the bike is warm it diminishes noticably or goes away. It is also not aubible once the bike revs over 1500 rpm or so. It seems to come from the area of the cam casing. The oil has been changed and the fuel is clean (hasn't been sitting for a long time).

It does not correspond with any other odd noises or performance problems. Any ideas what it might be? Should I worry?

-Sean

Probably just your cam lobes striking your shims. As long as they are within specs just live with it. These old air cooled aluminum engines just make a lot of noise.

Comment

The engines do have character! One obvious thing may be a leaking exhaust gasket - this can go away when warm if it is only a slight leak..it sounds a lot like loose valve adjustments. Try checking the tension of the exhaust studs.

Otherwise may just need a valve adjustment.

Comment

Thanks much, I'll definitely take a look at the exhaust system.

If it isn't that, character is just fine in my book

-Sean

Comment

Mine does something very similar if not exactly the same. I asked about it on this forum before. I came the the conclusion that it might be the "cam end float" issue discussed on the forum.

Essentially it is somewhat imperfect engineering by Suzuki which left some of the tolerances pretty loose. You can do a search for more information.

I'm not saying this is what's going on with your bike, but it sounds similar.

My noise is a distinct click, or knock about one every second at idle. It usually does it when the engine is warmed up. I stuck a srewdriver to my ear and to the bike and it appears to originate from the cam/valve cover towards the front of the engine.

Mine has been like that for over a year now (as long as I've owned the bike) and hasn't gotten any worse, so I just live with it.

Comment

Did he say somewhat imperfect engineering on a Suzuki GS???? Well I NEVER! That's almost blasphemy isn't it 8O Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Duke
              Essentially it is somewhat imperfect engineering by Suzuki which left some of the tolerances pretty loose.
              ....how dare you say these words in the temple of the GS

Comment

Originally posted by Duke

Essentially it is somewhat imperfect engineering by Suzuki which left some of the tolerances pretty loose.

Lets Rope him to the back of an 1100 and drag him for a ride!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

No no no, you all have no idea what real punishment is in this clan.

Make the yella bastid ride a BUELL! :twisted:

Comment

Buell?? Punishment in the EXTREME!!!!!! 8O

Comment

Working...
                    X