Engine won't idle....1978 Gs750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine won't idle....1978 Gs750E

After much wrenching, swearing, and crossing my fingers I got my engine started this weekend. First time since 2000 as far as I can tell.

The motor and carbs are from a 1977 that was last registered 1996 and last started in 2000. I bought the parts bike disassembled in 2007.

After powder coating, reassembling and hunting down bad ground wires I finally got the bike to kick over, but its running at very high RPM. My guestimate is around 2500 - 3k.

The throttle cables are set to the lowest setting and the RPM adjustment screw is set to its lowest, but the throttle "rocker" mechanism won't bottom out on the RPM screw. <--- this is the case even with the cables removed. I have set each carb to 1-1/4 turns from fully seated.

I have an extra carb set and searched it over looking for a secondary adjustment but found none. The bike is completely off choke when the idle is high and idles even higher with the choke on.

Any hints, hunches, or straight-out advice is appreciated.

On a second note: I have a Dyna 3 ignition from my original (now frozen) motor. Would I be best served to seek out installing that unit or should I stick to the original points system?

Thanks in advance.

T-
    Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2009, 09:40 PM. Reason: typo

Have the carbs been cleaned? Like, totally disasembled and soaked, air blasted out and new o-rings installed?

Perhaps the slide is stuck?

Rick

Comment

The carbs weren't opened. The parts bike was fairly well cleaned, catalogged, and shrink wrapped when I bought it. The barrels and needles inside the carb seemed to move freely when off the bike, so I impulsively installed it without breaking them down.

If Its not something simple that I'm over looking, then I'll most likely break them down completely. Just a job a was hoping to avoid at this time.

Thx

Comment

Make sure the hose from carb #3 is attached to the petcock or is plugged. If it isn't it adds a lot of air to the system and it will idle fast.

Comment

Clean the carbs and replace the o-ring behind the intake boots.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

From what you describe, either you have vacuum leaks on the intake , or the carb set was synced too high.
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Consensus sound like I should look for vacuum leaks. Will do.

Comment

Working...
              X