Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vacuum / idle question troubleshooting

this is for 82 GS1100E

Basically the bike will only idle on choke. While the choke is on and the bike is running I can rev it just fine. It dies when choke is closed. I sprayed carb cleaner in and around all boots, etc.... no surging.

That said I'm thinking it's either:

1. A cracked vacuum hose (the very tip where it hits the nipple looked cracked, but I still put it on snug and tight beyond the crack .) I'm going to by a 1/4 vacuum hose tonight.

2. A clogged pilot jet ..We had the bike running a couple time after the new carbs were installed, perhaps some gunk got sucked from the tank and clogged the jet. Petcock is operating normal and should have a screen so I'm thinking no on this, but ya never know.

3. Though my battery is charged and turning the bike over, the level is a bit low. I have distilled water ready to fill the level back up. Would this really effect the idle though?

anymore thoughts on what it could be?

thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2009, 11:01 AM.

I would bet on the clogged pilot jet, or a clog somewhere else in the pilot system.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Where did these “new” carbs come from? Unless you know their history, I suggest a full tear down, soak in carb dip, and replacement of all internal O-rings. It’s very difficult to diaganosis problems unless you have a solid foundation to build from – and clean carbs are a good start.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

carbs were completely rebuilt from top to bottom from Chef. They look great and he has been wonderful about answering any and all my questions. It was a pleasure to do business with him!

If its the pilot it could have only been clogged from the short trip the carbs ran when we put them on. But sometimes that's all it takes, I was running some old gas intitially. That's why I'm trying to weed out any other possibilites first.... before ripping into them. I have a feeling it's something ridic like a crakc in the vacuum. Would that cuase these symptoms. I'll just assume it would, trying to see what else it could be..
        Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2009, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Have you looked at maybe the idle screw needs to be turned up? Ray.

Comment

I have to back you up abit.
            Why where the carbs replaced?
            Have you set the base idle screw? The larger knurled knob between the carb bank?
            Can be just a low idle. IT will run on choke because choke adds fuel and air.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              Have you looked at maybe the idle screw needs to be turned up? Ray.

I've played with the idle screw also, however, it is to no avail, meaning it doesn't seem to be effecting the idle (while the choke is on remember) one way or another.

Question. To troubleshoot the idle screw further and from scratch, should I start with it bottomed out. That is, turned clockwise as far as It will go and then start turning it counter clockwise slowly? or vice versa?
              Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2009, 11:50 AM.

Comment

You need to bench sync them to set the idle knob.

Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                  You need to bench sync them to set the idle knob.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ync_notes.html

thanks. they were already synched though. Both bench and then mercury.

Comment

More than likely Chef did a static bench sync.
                    If you hold the throttle by hand, can you turn off the choke, (after its warm) and keep the idle at around 1100?

Why did you do the carbs. How did it idle before?
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2009, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nert View Post
                      More than likely Chef did a static bench sync.
                      He did, then they were synched properly once they were on.

If you hold the throttle by hand, can you turn off the choke, (after its warm) and keep the idle at around 1100?
                      nope, it just dies

Comment

Why did you do the carbs.
                        I did not have a stock set on there before.

Comment

Originally posted by maro View Post
                          He did, then they were synched properly once they were on.
                          You say they were synched properly on your bike?

If Chef synched them on his bike, they are likely close, but will not be properly synched for your bike.

And, you have also said that you can't take the choke off, or it will die. You just can't do a sync with the choke on.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok, I re-read your original post and added your last post.
                            Am i to understand that Chef had it running and idling properly. And after some run time and several startups it failed to idle? But, it did idle when the the carbs where first installed?

Comment

Do you have the airbox and filter installed while you're trying to start it ?
                              Larry D
                              1980 GS450S
                              1981 GS450S
                              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                              X