Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine rebuild kit

Hey guys,

So I got things running, and well. I just need to raise my needles a bit and should be rockin!

Anyway, I've been inspired by people cleaning their engine, painting them, and making them look good. I also want to have my head redone at some point. And I love to tear stuff down and put it back together. So what I was wondering is if there is a rebuild kit for these guys? I know I could fish through the fiche (sorry) and pick put what I need, but wondered if there was a one stop shop?

82 GS850G

I've been told to not get into that if it doesn't need it, so I'm not sure I am going to do this, but want to know what my options are.

Thanks.

PS. I might just pull the engine out assembled, super clean and maybe paint. Is this a reasonable/practical decision? All of this would happen fall/winter.

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
    Hey guys,

So I got things running, and well. I just need to raise my needles a bit and should be rockin!

Anyway, I've been inspired by people cleaning their engine, painting them, and making them look good. I also want to have my head redone at some point. And I love to tear stuff down and put it back together. So what I was wondering is if there is a rebuild kit for these guys? I know I could fish through the fiche (sorry) and pick put what I need, but wondered if there was a one stop shop?

82 GS850G

I've been told to not get into that if it doesn't need it, so I'm not sure I am going to do this, but want to know what my options are.

Thanks.

PS. I might just pull the engine out assembled, super clean and maybe paint. Is this a reasonable/practical decision? All of this would happen fall/winter.
    I think that tearing down an engine that doesn't need it is an unwise investment of time and money. If you want to make it look better, unbolt all the stuff that unbolts easy and clean/polish them. Then give the engine a good cleaning. You may be happy with the results.

If you really want to rebuild something, buy a bike that needs it. Surely there are plenty of projects around your parts.

Comment

Hi,

Just a couple of suggestions re: gasket sets...

Gasket set on ebay - says "OEM supplier".

Gasket set - from partsnmore.com, sounds like the same "European OEM supplier" set but less expensive than the ebay store above.

Vesrah gasket sets have been getting bad reviews as of late. Stick with the factory stuff and you'll have fewer issues.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2009, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
        Gasket set on ebay - says "OEM supplier".
        What's the world coming to when our own resident IT expert posts a link that doesn't work?

Even after getting rid of the extra http, I could not get it to work, so I don't know where he was going with that one.

Also, count the bolts on your valve cover before ordering a set, even if you only order a valve cover gasket to adjust your valves. Sometime during the 1982 model run, Suzuki changed the head and cover from a 16-bolt setup to a 19-bolt setup. They are NOT interchangeable. The sets might be listed as '79-'81 or '82-'84 on different sites, so that will tell you whether they are the old 16-bolt or new 19-bolt sets.

Last edited by Steve; 04-28-2009, 02:59 PM.
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I got one of those fancy, new fangled silicone ones. They are nice. Thanks Steve.

Comment

Besides gaskets, what else would I need.

Probably new piston rings? Bearings? I've rebuilt a car engine and replace bearings, but these look like sealed (expensive) bearings on the fiche.

Also, I know nothing about heads, but would want to dismantle/have blasted. Do I need to address the valves much? I know I can replace the valve guide seals.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              What's the world coming to when our own resident IT expert posts a link that doesn't work?

Sorry Steve,

CLICK HERE for the ebay store with the GS850G gasket set. I also fixed the link in my post. I've been copying/pasting all over the place today.

I'm really hoping that more people will learn how to go to http://www.ebay.com and type in something like "gasket set GS850G" into the search bar on the ebay website. It's amazing.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                CLICK HERE for the ebay store with the GS850G gasket set. I also fixed the link in my post. I've been copying/pasting all over the place today.

I'm really hoping that more people will learn how to go to http://www.ebay.com and type in something like "gasket set GS850G" into the search bar on the ebay website. It's amazing.
                What CLASS.

He fixes the original mistake, re-posts the new one, tells us about the search function on eBay, and then tells us what to search for.

BassCliff, I think we'll keep you around, in spite of your choice of riding gear.
                sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I had a Vesrah head gasket on my old bike and it sucked! p!ssed me off so much.

Getting back to things, I need gaskets, _____, ______, _______...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    BassCliff, I think we'll keep you around, in spite of your choice of riding gear.
                    LOL!!

Thanks Steve, that's good to know. I try not to be too much of a pain in the patootie.

BassCliff

Comment

Bare minimum you would need to do is disassemble the engine, clean everything, replace all gaskets and seals, lap the valves, hone the cylinder and install new rings, paint, and reassemble. I wouldn’t call a project like that a true “rebuild”, more like a refresh. Figure on about $300 minimum and a LOT of time. If the engine is worn, get your wallet out. A proper valve job will cost about $350+. If the cylinder needs to be bored out that will cost you another $400. Surfacing the head/cylinder is $100. You get the idea.

Most guys just look for a good used engine when the time comes. I can’t blame them.

I’m going through a GS1000 engine right now and trying my darnest to do it reasonably right, but without breaking the bank. My cylinder head was worn so I found a low(er) mileage head on ebay. Traded some cams to a member here for a decent set of stock cylinders and pistons. Just got back from the machine shop where they surfaced the head and cylinder – don’t want to risk blowing the head gasket due to warped mating surfaces. I’m afraid to total up the money; even on a budget rebuild like this. It’s all in good fun though so you can’t put a price on that.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Sounds like I need to find me a reputable machine shop round here and see what they say. I took the boots and exhaust off the other day and looked at the valves. On the intake side, the valves were covered with black gunk and on the exhaust they were all white. I assume all the black gunk needs to come off. We'll see what happens. It's running 98% right now, so I don't want to get in there if I don't have to and at this point, I don't.

Comment

Have you done any tests (like, compression?) to see if there are any areas that need to be addressed? How many miles are on the motor? If your motor has good compression, is not drinking oil, not leaking, and runs strong, why mess with success? Yes, you'll get some stuff on the valves; no doubt the result of the tiny bit of oil which can normally pass by the valve seals. But if you clean them, it will come back. Nobody can see the valves when your carbs and exhaust are on

If you want that rebuild experience I'll gladly trade your running bike for my completely disassembled GS550 with what should be all the parts necessary to get it running

Comment

I get it. Some things are done because you enjoy it. Cars/motorcycles are a depreciating asset. Most rebuilt vehicles are a work of love for one, and a money pit to their spouse. (I have never made money and don't know anyone who ACTUALLY has at this level of vehicle)

I am going to do the same thing to my 1100. It hasn't run in about 6 years and I don't know what is hiding in there. I don't even want to try to get it running before going through it. It may not NEED it, but I will burn off a lot of stress (and money) in the process. Take the good with the bad.

With that mutual understanding of the reason I want to go down this road...

Anything else that should be checked out while the engine is disassembled?
                            Do you use the same machine shop that you would use for your car engine or should I find a specialty shop?
                            Gaskets, Piston Rings, and what ever is broken...?

It looks like the electrical system is going to give me more trouble than the engine anyway... but that is just my bike.

Good discussion guys.

Comment

Working...
                            X