what goes into jetting a bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what goes into jetting a bike?

i need to rejet a bike for this guy and i have no idea where to start.

Just get the proper kit and save yourself the headaches. All the instructions you need will come with the kit.

Comment

i cant find one for the bike , its a an 1983 virago 500

Comment

Try this link, they have some good information:

Comment

What mods has he got and why does he need them jetted?

If they indeed need rejetting then about all you can do is try the hit or miss approach. Drill the plugs off the idle screws so they can be adjusted. Use some tape on the drill bit so it barely penetrates the plug. There are threads under it you don't want to screw up. !/8" of bit should do the job. Then pull the plug with a screw. That screw only effects idle and slightly off idle throttle positions.

Next get some very small, thin nylon washers or go to Radio Shack and get some metal washers used for electronics applications. The thinner the washers you can find the better. Shim the slide needles a little at a time. The shim goes under the clip on the needle to richen the mixture. This will effect steady throttle when cruising and 1/4 to 3/4 throttle openings. Replace the main jet you intend to use before working with the needles. If they haven't done any mods then one jet size is probably the most you will need to go up if at all.

If his bike is running decent then he's better off leaving the carbs as they are and maybe doing a good cleaning.

Comment

see i cleaned the carbs and messed up the settings and i cant find a jet kit

Comment

anyone?

Comment

There's really nothing to mess up. Stock needles are non-adjustable and the other jets only go in one way in one place. The only thing you can adjust is the idle screws and float level.

Comment

then i dont know what to say, the thing idles rough most of hte time, cant go past 5k and 50mph or it starts to die and can't run with out the choke on full

Comment

bump

Comment

Working...
                    X