Bogging down GS1000 c/w VM's - fixed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bogging down GS1000 c/w VM's - fixed!

Hi thought i would share this as ive seen a few posts recently that have similar issues.

To cut to the chase i have had lots of problems getting my bike to carburate cleanly - it was bogging down badly + stalling when twisting the throttle into the midrange area.

It seemed to be leaning out or running out of gas, but i actually think it was too rich low down and too lean at the top end (so i have gone up a couple of main jet sizes and it seems better up there too).

Here's what i did;

1) removed the pods i had fitted
    2) set the needles back (lower) to the standard position (3rd notch)
    3) refitted an original air box with standard suzuki paper/oiled foam element and oiled it (the foam outer that is).
    4) replaced air box lid and its seal.

Now good.

FYI even with a K&N GS1000 specific free flow filter in the standard airbox with the lid on it wouldnt accelarate without bogging its that critical apparently.

Cheers

Sweet!
    Glad to see you got it sorted.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbob View Post
      Hi thought i would share this as ive seen a few posts recently that have similar issues.

To cut to the chase i have had lots of problems getting my bike to carburate cleanly - it was bogging down badly + stalling when twisting the throttle into the midrange area.

It seemed to be leaning out or running out of gas, but i actually think it was too rich low down and too lean at the top end (so i have gone up a couple of main jet sizes and it seems better up there too).

Here's what i did;

1) removed the pods i had fitted
      2) set the needles back (lower) to the standard position (3rd notch)
      3) refitted an original air box with standard suzuki paper/oiled foam element and oiled it (the foam outer that is).
      4) replaced air box lid and its seal.

Now good.

FYI even with a K&N GS1000 specific free flow filter in the standard airbox with the lid on it wouldnt accelarate without bogging its that critical apparently.

Cheers

I wish this could be the automated sticky answer to every new member that comes on here with a bike and slaps pods and a pipe on it and then wonders why it runs like sh!t. LOL

Comment

You may need to get back close to stock mains too.

VMs are generally easier to rejet than CVs, also.

Comment

Originally posted by Don-lo View Post

Not quite completely true. While its a little easier to TUNE the VMs, having to change the needle position is a much bigger PITA because it requires a bench synch and then a dynamic sync every time you do it because the slides are mounted to the throttle control arm rather than simply being pushed by vaccum diaphrams.

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiGS View Post
            Sweet!
            Glad to see you got it sorted.

Cheers
            Thanks - for the airbox, will send payment tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Don-lo View Post

Yeah i will keep an eye on the plug colour - but it was far too lean on the boil previously (with an airbox not pods) so i think i am in the ballpark (VM30 carbs with 112.5 mains, '80 cylinder head, CV airbox). Carbs were originally (when i bought them) fitted with #100 main jets. Std pipes.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X