Fuel Milage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Milage

I was wondering what kind of fuel milage some of the other gs 550 owners are getting? I seem to be getting high 30s to low 40s. The bike seems strong on the low end but is lacking power in the 5500 and up rpm ranges. The bike acts like the timing is too fast when starting it at operating temp. I understand this is not adjstable. Any help is appreciated.

upper 30s to 40mpg ??

i wish!!
    i get 30 to 35mpg at best.
    on the other hand, i've got plenty of power on the high end.
    are you running w/ 89 octane?
    i realize you're getting an extra 5 to 10mpg 8O compared to mine, but i get even worse mileage, and less performance, on the 87 & 91 octanes.
    and i'll be damned if it doesn't like amoco best.

Comment

Don't even talk to me about mileage. I'm getting 18.

I know, I know. I'm working on it.

Earl .... I'm leaving for Toronto for a couple of weeks, but I'll have some cash when I get back to fix all that needs fixing. Be prepared for some good questions

Satch

Comment

Milage depends on your riding style to some extent. I get anywhere from 30 up to 40 on my GS850

Comment

I just checked my 82 1100E, after two tanks, mostly highway and not running it too hard. Got 34 mpg.
          Also found out E on my gauge pretty much means Empty Now 8O . Almost didn't make it to the station.

Comment

40-45mpg on my 750e but only after i changed my chain 27-32 mpg before 8) Mark

Comment

Average 45 mpg on my 79 750E and 43 on the 85 1150E.

Earl
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                Milage depends on your riding style to some extent. I get anywhere from 30 up to 40 on my GS850
                wow I feel great about my milage, I have big pistons ,cams 38 mm rs flatslides wit those accelerator pumps and I just did an 700 mile roun trip and I got 41 mpg on the way up at 55 to 60mph in the rain, and back 80 to 90mph in the sun

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                  Average 45 mpg on my 79 750E and 43 on the 85 1150E.

Earl
                  45-50 mpg on my GS850G

Comment

I will have to trya nd convert to US mpg...

But I get 16 to 18 kms per litre town (not a lot of stop and go traffic) and 21 kpl on trips (camping gear etc, 110kph) This is better than I used to get when the bike was standard! The moral is, to save the environment and save money, hot up the GS )

Comment

Originally posted by saaz
                      I will have to trya nd convert to US mpg...

But I get 16 to 18 kms per litre town (not a lot of stop and go traffic) and 21 kpl on trips (camping gear etc, 110kph) This is better than I used to get when the bike was standard! The moral is, to save the environment and save money, hot up the GS )
                      16 km/lt is about 45 mpg (imperial gallon = 4.55 litres). Same as I get in a mix of street and tollway commuting. Not bad for 250kg of 20 year old bike.

US gallon is 3.79 litres which would make this roughly 38 mpg in that system.

So you reckon this will improve if I tweak the beast some more? Now there's an argument for the Director of Finance!

Comment

I don't know about around town riding, but on trips I always average over 50 mpg on my '82 GS650G.

I've noticed that on the rare occasion when I ride someone else's bike, I get slightly better mileage than they have been getting. Probably because I'm less likely to hotrod a friend's bike.

Del

Comment

my older 550, with the carbs running WAY rich got barely 20 MPG around town...stop and go, and lots of startup/warmup time. on the highway it managed right at 40 MPG (along with a half quart of oil leaking, lol)

the newer 550 was out for a cruise last weekend before problems set in. it didn't rev well past 6000 RPM but i was in stop and go traffic for a bit, then cruising at 55 MPH+. i manged 75 miles and 2 gallons of gas...so that's 35 MPG.

~Adam

Comment

im not sure about mileage on my gs550 but on a full tank of gas....thats right up to the opening. my trip odometer says 118 miles a tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Dragon
                              im not sure about mileage on my gs550 but on a full tank of gas....thats right up to the opening. my trip odometer says 118 miles a tank.
                              That's about what I get on my 650GZ. 120 mile round trip commute, 110 mile tank. :roll: It's really annoying.

Comment

Working...
                              X