1150 tach. wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1150 tach. wiring

Need some help here..I got a tach. from an 85 GS1150ef,it has 3 wires to connect, a brown one (I guess it's the switched ign. source) a white and an orange.Not sure were they go.I'm hooking the tach. to a 80 GS1100.Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!Thanks,Mike..

also, someone would need to know the voltage potential the white wire is at, in reference to battery voltage.
    I suspect because the trace side of the printed circuit board shows the white as "G" (ground)-- the orange as "V" (voltage)--and the brown as "S" (signal), the white is at +/- 0 volts.

pretty sure this is correct
    In otherwords

White - ground
    Orange +12V
    Brown - Tach

Pos

Comment

Wouldn't the brown wire (signal) have to hook to the coil? I thought the 1980 GS originally used a mechanical tach.

Comment

1150 tach.

Thanks;the "pretty sure" part has me worried.Sure would like to be a LITTLE more DEFINITE! I'd hate to smoke the tack.And yes AL,1100 is mech. tach. I put an 1150 eng. in mine,(no cam drive gear).Mike..

Comment

OK I will look it up later; I have a 1150 manual

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
            Wouldn't the brown wire (signal) have to hook to the coil? I thought the 1980 GS originally used a mechanical tach.
            Either there or off the ignitor. It needs to be one of the negative signal wires from the ignitor to the coils. Positive to the coils is always on.

Comment

Wll I tried but apparently need to reinstall my scanner so can post the clocks schematic.

The previous colors given are more than likely at the F to I converter board mounted at the back of the tach. not show on the schematics.

At the harness connector going into the clocks is the same as in the clocks except O/G is just O

B/W (Black White) is ground
              O/G - (Orange Green) is +12V Switched
              B/Y (Black Yellow) would be coil signal in.

These color codes are consistent with my GS1100ED and GS750EX so I'm almost 99.5% sure this is right

Comment

1150 tach.wire

Don't bother w/schematics,I have a manual also.(wasn't clear enough w/tach. hookup).Preciate all your trouble.Thanks,Mike..

Comment

nukldrgr

Well,
                  I'm glad you have a schematic .

You should then be able to confirm that

B/Y (Black Yellow) is connected to the 2-3 coil signal.

Pos

Comment

1150 tach.wire

Yes,on the B/Y wires.Whats not CLEAR is where the brown,white and orange wires go. The schematic doesn't show those wires at all!

Comment

I would have to give a nod to pos's advice here. I did a GSXR instrument conversion on my bike and had to figure out the GSXR wiring on my own. Here's a thread on it. Completely different color codes but close enough to apply in your case. Here's a thread on it from the archives.
                      This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

In my case the black with white tracer was ground, black with orange tracer was switched power, and black with red was tach signal. You want your brown wire going to one of the coil signal wires, not the orange with white tracer that goes to both coils. White should be ground and orange switched power.
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2009, 10:57 PM.

Comment

1150 tach.wire

OK;that's about 99.7% probability.Will try to get to it this weekend (weather's gonna suck,so it's "indoor sports"only) Thanks guys, very much!Mike..

Comment

1150 tach.wire

Let me know if you see smoke!

Comment

Originally posted by nukldrgr View Post
                            Let me know if you see smoke!
                            Just don't let the smoke out.j/k

Comment

I have hedged my bets by specifying a 99.5% confidence because the requester did not provide a picture of what he is talking. He also apparently doesn't know how to check a device to insure it will not smoke when power is applied. Given these uncertainties I can hardly say with 100% confidence that there will not be an issue. They dont call it "Sparks and Magic" for nutin.

Determining power and ground lines should be quite easily accomplished using an ohm meter.

Determining the Sig input is simply a matter of looking at the color codes of the wires as I indicated as well as a process of elimination, but granted I really dont know what he is trying to do or set up.

Given the reqestor has an adequate VOM and and schematic there should have been no reason for the question in the first place.

So beware of free advice; it won't nessesarily solve all of your problems.

this thread might help

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
                              Last edited by posplayr; 05-02-2009, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X