No announcement yet.

1983 gs450t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, I fixed problem number one. Just a bad ground.

But, number 2 is still an issue. took the carbs off, cleaned them thoroughly, according to the tutorial, replaced the o-rings, replaced the intake boots and o-rings. It is still doing the exact same thing.

I adjusted the fuel mixture screws out 3 turns. The bike starts okay, and is definitely running rich, a little too rich, I need to play with that a little to get it balanced.

But it is still reving up to 3k RPMs once it gets warmed up. If its an air leak, I'm dumbfounded as to where it would be.

There is a tiny bit of lag in the throttle when you roll on hard.

How far should the idle screw be turn out?

I need some help here, my head hurts.

Originally posted by Ohioan View Post
    I just purchased a '83 GS450T. It has two problems.

1. There is a charging issue, I have been told it's the stator, but I'm looking for 2nd, 3rd, etc. opinions. The bike starts up and runs, until the battery dies, and then nothing. Is there a way to test to see if it is the stator or something else? There is a new battery in the bike.

2. When the bike is started cold, it idles at around 1k-1.5k rpms. As the engine warms up, it slowly revs up to about 2krpms then revs quickly to 3.5k. I'm guessing the choke is stuck. The choke cable is just hanging on the handle bars, the switch on the bars is missing. When I pull, or push, on the choke cable at the handle bars, the cable does not move at the choke. The cable at the bars doesn't move more than half and inch. Should I just try to replace the cable to see if that helps? or is there something else to try? I can barely get my hand in to the cable at the engine. If I adjust the idle down once the engine is warmed up it runs fine, I drove it up the block and didn't experience any issues.

As you can tell, I'm very inexperienced with working on motorcycles. All help is greatly appreciated.

this is my first motorcycle, I got it really cheap, the problems don't seem to be that big. Other than these two issues, it works fine.

Comment

Generally the idle screws are 2-3 turns out from lightly seated.

Turning them out enriches and in leans them out. These screws control the mixture at idle only.

What I've done is set them to 2.5 turns out. Go for a nice ride to completely warm up the bike. Then at idle, blip the throttle. If it dips and want to die, it's rich so turn each of the idle screws in a quarter turn. If the RPM's hang or take a while to settle, they're lean, so turn the idle screws out a quarter turn. You'll have to adjust the master idle knob as you adjust the idle screws.

Go for another nice ride and continue the quarter turn process until the throttle settles nicely at the spec'ed RPM for idle. It's kinda my way of doing the highest RPM method. Keep an eye on your plugs to check for richness or leanness.....I guess those are words????
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I can't go for a nice ride, the thing revs up to 3k RPMs, and soon as I touch the throttle idle, it drops down and dies.

Comment

I can't go for a nice ride, the thing revs up to 3k RPMs, and soon as I touch the throttle idle, it drops down and dies.
          Turn the master idle knob counterclockwise, it's the big brass knob. This knob faces the rear of the bike. Don't get it confused with the cam chain knob that comes out of the back of the engine. This will close both the throttle plates at the same time, lowering the idle. Sounds like the idle screws are to far out, if it dips when you blip the throttle. I'd turn them in a quarter to a half a turn. Keep adjusting both until you get it idling well. Again, keep an eye on the plugs so you don't it to lean.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I adjusted the idle and fuel screws last night. I got it to idle at about 1.5k but it's still spitting and sputtering a little. But, when you hit the throttle and rev it up past 3k, it sticks at 3k, almost like the throttle is stuck. but when I would adjust the idle screw, it would slowly start to lower, get to about 2k and then just drop quickly and die.

Okay, I fixed problem number one. Just a bad ground.

But, number 2 is still an issue. took the carbs off, cleaned them thoroughly, according to the tutorial, replaced the o-rings, replaced the intake boots and o-rings. It is still doing the exact same thing.

I adjusted the fuel mixture screws out 3 turns. The bike starts okay, and is definitely running rich, a little too rich, I need to play with that a little to get it balanced.

But it is still reving up to 3k RPMs once it gets warmed up. If its an air leak, I'm dumbfounded as to where it would be.

There is a tiny bit of lag in the throttle when you roll on hard.

How far should the idle screw be turn out?

I need some help here, my head hurts.

Comment

Too lean probably. Turn the screws to add a bit more fuel to the mix and try again.

Comment

Working...
              X