High idle and more broken stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High idle and more broken stuff?

82 650gl .... Here are my problems, First the bike wont I idle under 4k. It just sits up there at 4000 +/- with no choke.? I have tried to adjust my Idle but it didn't seem to do anything. I have not synced my carbs yet. that may be a factor in this too. Second when I was bolting up the exhaust to the head one of the exhaust flanges snapped. I don't see a way to replace the flanges on this pipe but I find that hard to believe. Is a broken flange toast for that exhaust? Any way, I know the problems are mostly unrelated but Anyone with ideas please help me get pointed in the right direction.

THAKNS!!!

Hi Mr. mpls-ugly,

A big exhaust leak is going to wreck havoc with your tuning. But have you at least replaced the intake boots and O-rings? Are you using the stock airbox?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

With the high idle, it's most definately intake boot/ boot rings.

If you keep it running like that, there's a possibility that you could burn up and crack a valve.

Comment

is your throttle cable pinched anywhere? maladjusted? Turn the throttle with the bike off and see if the carbs return to idle.

Comment

The bike has pods on it and I modified the pipe. Its a new throttle cable and I don't think its pinched anywhere. I was thinking the cable may need to stretch a bit.?? I haven't thought about intake boots or O rings but I will inspect them and replace if they look bad.

Anyone have experience with broken exhaust flanges? Im worried I may need a whole system or get these welded with aluminum. Ugly... thanks for the input fellas!

Comment

Certainly need to fix the exhaust flange before trying to address the high idle issue.

Can you post some pics of it ?
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I had my exhaust flange crack in half too. I couldn't find a replacement. I had to buy a new left side exhaust and cut and weld the new piece. Kind of a pain. Hopefully it doesn't break again.

Comment

If this ever comes up again have them welded by a competent welder. I also had him reenforce the other spots that didn't break thinking they would be the next to go.

Comment

Working...
                X