Frame cut. HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frame cut. HELP!!

The prior owner cut the seat in half and cut the frame off and tossed it. Can anyone tell me how to replace this frame so I can get the parts to get the origanal rear of bike back?

Originally posted by natenatesingle View Post
    The prior owner cut the seat in half and cut the frame off and tossed it. Can anyone tell me how to replace this frame so I can get the parts to get the origanal rear of bike back?
    For the most integrity you should replace the entire rear subframe. It's going to mean finding a frame and chopping it up. Other than that you would need to find the seat and tail piece you intend to use and weld up some rails to accept the pieces.

Comment

Is there any other frame that will work? I have a GS550 frame.

Comment

Depending on how much is missing (and how good your metalwork skills are), you could bend up a new 'rear end' out of some tube. When you re-weld it fit an internal 'sleeve' (that goes for at least 3 inches either side of the area to be welded) and 'plug weld' through some holes that you've drilled as well as butt welding the actual site of the cut.

Look up these terms here - http://www.weldguru.com/welding-terminology.html - if you are not sure what I'm talking about.

Comment

It would be easy to replace, IF you can weld and fabricate. The best I can tell ya if you are mechanically inclined, is to swap frames if youre that not into the look. GS frames are easy enough if youre looking. Hell I have a 1982 750 frame sitting that could use some love, but is solid.

Comment

But keep the old frame, someone else may be able to build a neat Cafe or Bobber project out of it. These old girls are getting harder to find now, better someone use your old frame than cut up yet another one.

Comment

I don't mind the Bobber look but if I have a rider, there's no place to attatch a pad.

Comment

Working...
              X