Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loose starter clutch bolt

hi guys,
    I have a friend with a GS 1000 that has asked me (who doesn't know)...... "could you please help with a bit of info on the starter clutch for my gs 1000 i have repaired replaced parts and have bolted all up but it seems to always work the center bolt loose making it slip and spin freely how would i keep the center bolt tight?"

Is it as simple as applying locktite???

I have given him the link to this forum (hopefully he will join)

Thanks in advance

Hi,

The information you need is in THIS THREAD.

Search is wonderful.

Yes, Red Loctite. Maybe even something stronger if it's giving you too much trouble.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks Basscliff,

I did do a search, but hadn't thought to use 'locktite' in the search parameter.

Cheers

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
      Hi,

The information you need is in THIS THREAD.

Search is wonderful.

Yes, Red Loctite. Maybe even something stronger if it's giving you too much trouble.

BassCliff

Comment

Aha! the ol'e bolt spinning after it's tightened up!!!!!!!!

Here's how you cure the problem................... and you don't need no red/blue/green/yellow/indigo etc etc sealant/glue.....

Replace the springs that push on the dowels behind the starter clutch, they have lost their tension, so the main crank just spins and loosens the bolt.

Nuff said.

Comment

I am such a grasshopper.

Originally posted by feelergaugephil View Post
          Aha! the ol'e bolt spinning after it's tightened up!!!!!!!!

Here's how you cure the problem................... and you don't need no red/blue/green/yellow/indigo etc etc sealant/glue.....

Replace the springs that push on the dowels behind the starter clutch, they have lost their tension, so the main crank just spins and loosens the bolt.

Nuff said.

BassCliff

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Green View Post
              hi guys,
              I have a friend with a GS 1000 that has asked me (who doesn't know)...... "could you please help with a bit of info on the starter clutch for my gs 1000 i have repaired replaced parts and have bolted all up but it seems to always work the center bolt loose making it slip and spin freely how would i keep the center bolt tight?"

Is it as simple as applying locktite???

I have given him the link to this forum (hopefully he will join)

Thanks in advance
              If you are refering to the large nut holding the rotor in place, then this is a common problem. The rotor and the starter clutch then spins on the crankshaft. The tapered surface then also shows some signs of scarring.
              A solution is to use a strong Locktite on the tapered part of the crankshaft, after cleaning the mating surfaces in the rotor and on the crankshaft properly and also smoothing down any raised burs.
              The nut must also be torqued down properly to the manuals specified torque and not just hand tightened.

Comment

Thank you Matchless and Feelergauge Phill.

I have passed on your wise words.

Comment

Working...
                X