Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starterclutch gs1100/1150

Thanks for the suggestions.
    I had the rotor pulled off the crankshaft and discovered a broken and a couple of loose damaged bolts in the starter clutch. The 1100 crankshaft is a smaller dia than the 1150 but most of the parts interchange. Built one out of the two and reassembled. Started it - it was fine. The next day started a 2400km 3 day trip. No problems. The engine is smoother and quieter now. BTW the 1100 starterclutch bolts were loose too. Seems to be a common thing!

suzookeeper

Happy to here it went out well,

On my starter clutch all three bolts came loose, and one bolt was shared off because it was loose.

After I replaced the bolts and tightened them with Lock-Tite, the starter clutch wordked fine again.

I think this is a common problem on the GS1150/1100

Don't wait to check the starter clutch bolts, if you here a strange noise from the left side of the engine.

If all the bolts come completely loose, the damage is going to be worse.

Comment

Same thing happend to my 82 1100L recently. all three bolts sheared off. It had been making a rattling noise for a good while. Susuki has those 3 little bolts for $6.oo or so. I found the same hardness bolts at a bolt and nut house for 17cents a piece.

Comment

I have had the same problem with all three bolts sheering off. I have rebuilt it but am still getting a clanging noise when trying to start the bike, I assume it is the clutch slipping. Has anyone else had this problem? I fitted new springs and rollers before I put it back on, although I think I may have to get a complete new clutch body.

Comment

Originally posted by kz
          Happy to here it went out well,

On my starter clutch all three bolts came loose, and one bolt was shared off because it was loose.

After I replaced the bolts and tightened them with Lock-Tite, the starter clutch wordked fine again.

I think this is a common problem on the GS1150/1100

Don't wait to check the starter clutch bolts, if you here a strange noise from the left side of the engine.

If all the bolts come completely loose, the damage is going to be worse.
          I found a used assembly that had the bolts tack welded.

Comment

Working...
          X