Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AHH HELP, installed MAC 2-1 and it falls on its face, running out of time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The brake lever touching

could my brake lever be bent?

Comment

Comment

Are those scratches on the case from the brake lever? If so then it must be bent. Can you adjust it to engage the brake sooner so it wont hit the exhaust?

Comment

I had mentioned it above, but if I adjust the brake any tighter it drags when riding, not good.

the pedal doesnt touch as is, so the scratches could be from a boot, or maye the pedal brefore I had it?

Comment

That just plain sucks.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

yeah, yeah it does...

I gotta ride it like this tommorow too, hopefully I can change it back tommorow night...

Also no gaskets so I need to track those down first.

Comment

I have temprarily ffixed it by rotating the stock exhaust mount, forcing the exhaust down, but that is stressing the mounting point at the head so not my first choice...

is this bad for the exhaust/head to have stress on it like that? If its fine I could fab a new bracket maybe.

otherwise it looks like I may need to find a 1980-81 era footpeg mount as this system may actually be for that bike, and it appears that the pegs are about an inch higher...?

Comment

I am goin to try packing it with stainless steel wool, the hardware store sells little rolls of them for painters.

Hoping it is stiff enough not to get pulled out the pipe like the FMF stuff did...

Comment

Have you read this thread ? Make sure to get real stainless steel.

Larry D
                    1980 GS450S
                    1981 GS450S
                    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I will try, they said it was stainless, its easy enough to do now that I have tried about 12 different ways with fiberglass I'm a pro at getting it apart...

Still not sure it is going to work though as minie isnt the "tube with holes" baffle its the "2 offset tubes" style, wrapping just blocks the tubes and you get no flow...

great thread though, not sure how search missed that, jeez...

Comment

Wrap the outside of the baffle.
                        The stress of you tweaking the exhaust in my opinion will eventually subside with the high heat.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                          Wrap the outside of the baffle.
                          The stress of you tweaking the exhaust in my opinion will eventually subside with the high heat.
                          So you think the heat will "fix" the stress? Just clarifying, hopefully thats what you mean

I'll post pix of my baffle, I tried wrapping it but you will see what I mean about why fiberglass didnt work.

Comment

I opened up my can today and found four coat hangers wrapped around nothing making a racket.

Comment

So this is my baffle, when I wrapped it it just plugged the outlet pipe and I lost 90% of my power. I packed it tight, I packed it loose, only thing that almost worked was super super loose, then it all wadded up at the bottom and was ok for a bit, then it all shot out around the rim...

Comment

I didnt have time to go to the store today (see my stranded in the rain post for details)

I did find these in the boxes of stuff my grampa had in his place in Oregon:

They are wound in a circle and VERY elasticy:

So just as a "no cost and 5 min of my time" expirament I did this:

Still should be plety of space to "pass gas" and if it takes that tinny twang out of the exhaust not Im happy.

I will let you know if this dumb idea worked when I take it out tommorow morning (I am watching the baby alone tonight and she's sleeping)

Comment

Working...
                                X