Oil blowing out of crankcase vent on '81 GS450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil blowing out of crankcase vent on '81 GS450

Ok, got the bike I purchased running (quite easily, which was a suprise). It has K&N air filters so I added a piece of hose and a small filter for the crankcase vent. Oil is blowing out of that filter like crazy. In a few miles it had completey soaked the rear of the bike in oil. Bike has 7000 miles but is new to me so I have no idea of it's history. No smoking, runs fine otherwise so....ideas? Compression test?

Thanks,
    Kurt Kesler

What was on the vent before you put on the hose and filter??

Comment

It's common for them to smoke lightly and drip a little oil occasionally, but it sounds like you have way too much blowing by. A compression test is in order. It could be ring blow by, guides, or guide seals.

Comment

Yea - I'll second that. Compression test time. My money is on the rings.

Comment

With so few miles on a 22 year old bike it probably is rings. The rings could be stuck or rust may have formed on the cylinder walls.

Comment

Good point Billy. Low mileage is not always a good thing.

Comment

Ok, more info. After doing some more digging I went home and sniffed my oil. Overfull, thin and smells like gas. I checked the petcock and it is not shutting off so time for replacement/rebuild of that. Also went ahead and pulled the carbs and cleaned them. Once that is done will get the compression tested.

Thanks,
              Kurt Kesler

Comment

Working...
              X