Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost gears after rebuild

Hi again,

Let me start by saying how glad I am to have this site as a resource. Y'all have saved me hours of beating my head against my tool box.

I have an 83 gs850gl that I just tore down to replace the bevel gear housing. upon putting the crank case back together, it seems that I only have 3 gears. I fear that I didn't get the shift forks and gears in the right position. Does anyone have and tricks or knowledge that can help me get it together right?

Thanks in advance.

Why did you split the cases to replace the beveled gears? The only option is to take it apart again

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
      Why did you split the cases to replace the beveled gears? The only option is to take it apart again
      The bevel gear housing cracked and was stuck. I couldn't get it out without splitting the case. So, I know I have to split the case again and I'm looking for assistance with what position the gears and shift forks should be in when I put it back together.

Thanks,
      P

Comment

The shift forks just need to go into the receiving slots they are supposed to be in. I do it by myself but I've done hunderds of them, Literally! Finding someone to give you a "third hand" might be a big help for you. Ray.

Comment

Problem solved

OK, I guess I'm the boy who cryed wolf. I knew that I had the shifting forks in the grooves on the gear. As I was thinking about this I started playing with the gear shaft. After turning it several times, I was able to shift through all the gears.

I guess the problem was not with the shift forks or the shift cam. It was that the gear shaft was in the wrong position.

Comment

Originally posted by Motor Hack View Post
            OK, I guess I'm the boy who cryed wolf. I knew that I had the shifting forks in the grooves on the gear. As I was thinking about this I started playing with the gear shaft. After turning it several times, I was able to shift through all the gears.

I guess the problem was not with the shift forks or the shift cam. It was that the gear shaft was in the wrong position.
            Glad you got that sorted and your yet another rider who has learned bikes don't shift well at a stand still, the gears don't line up to go through all the gears without moving.

Comment

Working...
            X