Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem with carbs and diaphrams

Hello everyone,
    ive been messing around with my carbs on my 83 gs450 this weekend since my bike doesnt run.
    Ive narrowed it down to the diaphrams not moving up enough to let the fuel by the needle, ive cleaned everything i can think of and i just cannot get it to run..

Now if I take a screwdriver and jack up the diaphram a little it will come on but die as soon as the screw driver fall out from the vibrations.. lol

anyone have a clue what i could try/do/clean to fix this?
    Ive spent way too much time on this and ive come up with nothing..

thanks

*btw yes that air jet is clean.. atleast on the inside.

Please tell me you tried running it with the air filter and air box installed.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

yes I did, but im using k&n filters. Does that make alot of a difference?

Comment

YES! The bike will have to be completely rejetted for Pod KN filters. They let WAY more air in, and as such the bike will be insanely lean without a rejet. Also, your slides LIFT by vaccum. They are not mechanical. So they're not going to lift untill you have the bike moving to the point the engine causes enough vaccum to lift them..

Comment

Hmm so that means I need larger main jets? or also air jets?
          Is there anyway to calculate/guesstamate the new jet size?

Comment

The most important part of a jet kit is the needles. You can go up on the mains, raise the needles, and adjust the pilot screws but there is nothing you can do about the taper of the needles.

Comment

so I have 120 main jets in there right now.. what would make sense as a reasonable next higher step?
              Can i just up the main jet size and not do the needles or is it recommended to do both?
              also you mentioned "jet kits"? where can i find decent ones of those?

Thanks for the info

Comment

You have 120s in there now? What is stock?

Not sure about the two-cylinder bikes, but for the fours, you might bump the mains about two or three sizes for a pipe and three to five sizes for pods. If doing both, figure on about seven or eight sizes up.

Somebody more familiar with the twins can give better suggestions, I'm sure.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

stock is 115..
                  two or three sizes for a pipe
                  hmm what do you mean with pipe?
                  I currently have 1 "pod" per carb with a 3" pipe extension to make it fit past some frame pieces.
                  so maybe I should go up to 185 or 195's then..

Comment

By "pipe" I mean a custom exhaust pipe, usually called a "header".

Most of them are freer-flowing than stock, requiring larger jets in the carburetors.

With your 120s, you are already two sizes larger than stock.

Where did you come up with that "185 or 195"?
                    Stock is 115? two to three sizes for a pipe or three to five sizes for pods would mean 135, at most, that's eight sizes larger.

Last edited by Steve; 05-04-2009, 01:21 AM.
                    sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

not sure what you ment with sizes LOL
                      I just figured 10 is an even number

so since, for now, i have stock pipes i might want to go up to a 125 or 127.5?

Comment

hmm ill give 125's a try.. well see what happens

Comment

Jets come in 2.5 increments, that's why he said 8 sizes.

Comment

yea i figured that out after i looked for some..
                            I found this:

Comment

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
                              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                              X