Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Cooler Conversion

Hello all,
    New to this forum and this is my first post. My name is Tim Then and I am from Churchdown, England. I need to pick your brains if that is ok?
    Has anyone done the oil cooler conversion on their GS1000`s?
    I am considering doing this to my 1979 GS1000S and wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction. Any info on suitable oil coolers, pics and info on oil line connections to the engine, are there any intereference problems with the tacho drive cable, etc. etc.
    Any input gratefully received.
    Regards
    Tim
    Last edited by Guest; 05-03-2009, 04:04 PM. Reason: content

Good to have you here. Have you converted to 750 oil pump gears yet? That might benefit you more than a cooler.

Comment

Hi Billy,
      Thanks for the welcome.
      Have done no engine mods and to be perfectly honest the conversion would be more for looks than function. Quite like the idea of a Wes Cooley rep of sorts. Over here, you can ride for a good 15-20 miles before the oil temp gauge gets up to the comfort zone, so I don`t see overheating as a problem. Will try to post a pic of the beast as it is so far.
      Kind regards
      Tim

Comment

hi mate, im in the uk too. forget an oil cooler over here mate you dont need it. spend that cash on something more worthy, costs a fair few quid for a kit that you just want for looks when you could put that money towards brakes or handling.
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Comment

nice looking bike mate, HARRIS exhaust i believe. race or road baffle?
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

By the way it rattles the rib cage lets just say probably "not strictly road legal" ...... But it suits the bike SO well......

Comment

Now you two are going to start talking all about noise again..... (if you really want to go loud get a Marving. Got one on my 1100F but the missus is refusing to let me get one for the S)

Looks good Tim - with a fancy swinger too. And a Giuliari as well - perfect.

Agemax is bang on about no need for an oil cooler over here. Better to spend your dosh on brakes and suspension.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

WOW!...Another tidy lookin scoot!! Great job!!

MORE PICS PLEASE!!

Comment

Turbo Billy, great looking bike. Put the oil cooler on, I would, it will complete the Wes Cooley rep.
                    Cheers, 50gary

Comment

Thanks for all your kind words.
                      It is my intention to try and fit the cooler to complete the look so if anyone can supply any technical info as per my original post it would be gratefully received.
                      Have attached the photo that inspired me and will post a couple more as requested.
                      regards
                      Tim

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X