carb hole identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb hole identification

I got this pic from the how to rebuild cv carb, what are the hole for that have red arrows pointing to them? after rebuilding the carbs and dipping them (in gunk carb dip) I now have a leak in carb number 2's red arrow hole when the bike is not running and sitting on a level grade (I don’t know if it would still leak not sitting on a level grade. Don’t know why I added that) for testing the carbs I just installed a coke bottle w/ a brass nipple to the carbs fuel in line and I have the vac line plug off. it still leaks but not as bad even when i crimp the line to the fuel bottle
    Thanks for looking

At a guess I'd say your float level is too high on that carb. Or the fuel inlet needle and seat are in less than perfect condition and is not closing off the fuel flow when the float rises.

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me Don, could I try taping the bowl with a screw driver to try to determine if it is the needle and seat by if it stops leaking?

Comment

Originally posted by beingblueeyes View Post
        Thanks for getting back to me Don, could I try taping the bowl with a screw driver to try to determine if it is the needle and seat by if it stops leaking?

it wouldn't hurt, but there's no guarantee that tapping will seat the needle. Your float may be bad.

Are you resurrecting a bike , or was it running fine before you worked on it?
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

No one answered it yet but the holes in question are the air jets for the main jet, the labeled air jets are for the pilot jets.

Comment

Originally posted by beingblueeyes View Post
            As BIGT said it might work, but not likely. If you have a piece of grit or a particle of something (all it takes is a bad lot of fuel with muck in it) stuck between the needle and seat it will need to be cleaned up, flushed out, whatever.

Comment

I’m resurrecting it, this is the 2ed time I’ve rebuilt the carbs in a week. The first time I skimped out and didn’t dip the naked carb body’s, after finishing the first rebuild the bike would not idle. After not being so cheap I dipped everything that wasn’t plastic or rubber. the bike now idles but I get fuel out of the air jet for the main jet on the 2ed carb (thanks for putting a name to that killer)

I will be re-jetting the carbs again vary soon (101.5 main jet for open air on a 550(pods haven’t arrived yet) is too much and the bike won’t rev past 5k, when I try to the bike just drops revs 5k-4.5k-4k and so on, I haven’t pulled a plug yet to confirm this) so when I’m in there I will check the needle and seat

Comment

Working...
              X