New petcock diaphram waste of time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New petcock diaphram waste of time

I'm sure I'm not the only one to have experienced this problem, but try as I might, that new petcock diaphram was not going to seal. With the new part in place and all tightened down, gas would keep trickling out the spigott. I eventually gave up on it and put the old one back.
    Has anyone out there had success with replacing the diapram? Is there something I have to do to make it work, or should I just accept the fact that I need to buy a new OEM petcock complete?

Hi Mr. rthor,

Some folks have had success rebuilding the petcock. But, as always, your mileage may vary.

I can tell you this; From what I've read while being a member of this forum, when my petcock fails I'm getting a new one. Then I won't have to worry about it for another 30 years.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

It is not the diaphram, it is the seat for the O ring in the valve body that is leaking. If you don't have a smooth even surface for the O ring to seat on it will leak. Look at the valve seat for the O ring for corrosion and blemish.
      If not absolutely smooth you will have to make a mandrel with the same taper and polish the seat useing silver pollish or brasso or sum such item.
      V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

i just got my new petcock in the mail today wow! what a difference. looks great and works fab!! dave p.s. and almost cheaper than a kit

Comment

I'll open it up again and do some polishing...we'll see how that goes. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

The first two purchases I made when I first started working on my bike was an o-ring set for the carbs and a new petcock. I've never had any problem with either of them.
            If you have the scratch, buy a new one. There's fuel flowing over a very hot engine and in between your legs. I, for one, want to know it's not going to leak.
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Can always go with a Pingel petcock.

Manual. on/off. Just remember to turn it off.

I have gone back to a SGP (OEM) on the petcock, but any trouble, and Pingel it is....

Comment

I've only been fooling with this '77 GS550 for a few months now, and since the new petcock washer and diaphragm couldn't stop the drippage, I ordered the Pingel stuff for it. Still waiting for it to arrive. A Canadian Customs guy probably took it home to try on his own GS for a couple weeks, as usual...

Comment

Pingle is fine, but it seems kind of like going back to the days of no cell phones nor computers. Try the rebuild first, if it doesn't work, buy a new petcock
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Hi all: I bought a new OEM petcock (fuel valve). After it was installed it was hit and miss with with the fuel flow. When the bike would be starved for fuel I put it on PRI later back on ON. For the last few weeks it seems to be running as it's suppose to. Is the "Pingle Petcock" a viable alternative? and why the comment... "Pingle is fine, but it seems kind of like going back to the days of no cell phones nor computers." If the older style works without any issues it seems like a no brainer to go to it.

Comment

Originally posted by babylon9484 View Post
                      Hi all: I bought a new OEM petcock (fuel valve). After it was installed it was hit and miss with with the fuel flow. When the bike would be starved for fuel I put it on PRI later back on ON. For the last few weeks it seems to be running as it's suppose to. Is the "Pingle Petcock" a viable alternative? and why the comment... "Pingle is fine, but it seems kind of like going back to the days of no cell phones nor computers." If the older style works without any issues it seems like a no brainer to go to it.
                      The only "no brainer" with a Pingle is that after you forget and leave it on, you'll be rethinking the OEM set up and the answer will, at that point...be a no brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                        The only "no brainer" with a Pingle is that after you forget and leave it on, you'll be rethinking the OEM set up and the answer will, at that point...be a no brainer.
                        No...I don't think so. Pingles look good, feel good and move smooth as butter....Simple and effective
                        Sexy is the right word...

Never did like or trust those ugly, oem auto-on petcocks...
                        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

With a pingel, it's a turn on/shut off deal.

Turn it on when you start the bike and turn it off when you stop it. IF you forget to turn it off, you'd better hope your needle valve seats are in good working order or you'll have gas everywhere. And it only takes one time to forget..........
                          Larry D
                          1980 GS450S
                          1981 GS450S
                          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Ah, the good old days...

Remember to turn on the gas
                            Remember to turn on the lights
                            Remember to put up the kickstand
                            No gas gauge
                            No neutral light
                            No gear indicators
                            Use your arm to signal

My-o-my, how did we manage to ride at all....
                            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                              No...I don't think so. Pingles look good, feel good and move smooth as butter....Simple and effective
                              Sexy is the right word...

Never did like or trust those ugly, oem auto-on petcocks...
                              Hey Bob.

IF I ever do a CAFE/bobber rat with an attitude bike (and sexy paint), I'll be looking for a brass Pingle to spit shine!

Comment

Working...
                              X