Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Problem on 83 GS750ES (possibly stator???) HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Problem on 83 GS750ES (possibly stator???) HELP!

ok... new problem... battery died the other day.. just went dead, wouldnt start... checked it.. seemed that ALL the fluid from it had dissapeared.. Go figure.. So I figured the battery was shot.. bought a new battery.. filled it with the acid and gave it a brief charge figuring the charging system would charge it fully.. (bad idea?) So in doing so riding to work this morning, at one point traffic backed up so I stopped.. bike decided to completely shut off, like the key was turned off... upon checking for the next hour or so since nobody stopped to ask if I needed help... I found that the battery was completely dead... Wife came down with jumpers.. charged the battery for about 15 min running of the cars alternator and battery, started right up.. I continued to drive, 10 miles down the road, battery died again.... repeated previous fix.. 3 more times....
    Could this be the stator/alternator? Or something else. I have the factory service manual as well as the clymers manual. Trying to do the tests that it says, I am having a little difficulty finding said RR wires. on my 83, there is something that looks like a heat sink with a plug with 5 wires. Red/Yellow/Yellow/Yellow/Black there is also near it (but doesnt look like its connected to the heat sink thing) a black box with 2 sets of plugs. one set has a green wire a yellow wire a black wire and another color wire which I cant remember off hand.. is this black box the RR, or is the heat sink thing the RR? Looking at the sticky pages for stator, theres a testing part, but none of the wires on my bike match the diagram.. can anyone help me?

The one with the heat sink is the RR.

Comment

test

Charge the battery up.Put a meter on the battery and check the voltage. When the bike is running, the voltage should increase. If not, it is not charging, could be the stator. The three stator wires have connectors under the gas tank. The voltage across any two wires , when running at approx. 5000 rpm should be at least 80 volts a.c. If not. the stator is done. Also check each wire to ground.
      Hope this helps.

Kevan

Comment

You always have to charge a new motorcycle battery before you install it.

Comment

Sounds like your R/R is putting out too much voltage. The R/R is the finned device with the red, 3 yellow, and one black wire. Bad stators will normally blow the main fuse.

You can check you regulator/rectifier by following the Suzuki procedure below.

With the r/r removed from the bike, fins pointing up and terminals facing you, the terminals from left to right will be A, B, C, D, and E.
          Negative probe on A and positive on B you should get 6-7.5 ohms.
          Negative probe on A and positive on C you should get 6-7.5 ohms.
          Negative probe on A and positive on D you should get 6-7.5 ohms.
          Negative probe on A and positive on E you should get 50-70 ohms.

Then switch the negative probe to terminal B and place the positive probe on A, C, then D, you should get no reading. Positive on E should read 6-7.5 ohms.

Switch negative probe to C and positive to A, B, then D, you should get no reading. Positive on E should read 6-7.5 ohms.

Switch negative probe to D and positive to A, B, then C, you should get no reading. Positive on E should read 6-7.5 ohms.

Switch negative probe to E, positive to A, B, C, and D should give no reading.

Hope you can follow what I am outlining here.

Comment

yeah, I follow what you are saying, and I tried it.. Readings seem fine.. so that means its the alternator/stator?

Comment

whats a good brand for a stator? I ordered an electrex model I thing it was g2

Comment

That electrex model is just fine. I have there regulator rectifier. Works great on my 79.

Louie

Comment

The Elextrex stator is a good idea. Their products are good, and backed with a two year warranty...probably the best warranty in the business.

You should look at the regulator/rectifier as well. The fact that your original battery went dry may mean no care was taken to top it up when needed, but, under the circumstances, it also suggests it was drying out due to overcharging.

Often, when a stator goes, the cause is the R/R.

Electrex is the source of choice again, but if cost is too high you can sully your red machine with a Honda part. The R/R off an early 80's 400/450 honda twin will bolt right onto your Suzi. It does require some soldering and wire changes, though, as it has a different fitting, and two extra wires.
                  Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

charging

the problem is more than likely the r/r. they are troublesome on these bikes. the r/r converts ac voltage from the stator to dc voltage. sounds to me like you were running on battery power if your wife could boost you and you could a little further down the road....
                    same thing happened to me. r/r fried. check the stator though. they are not too reliable on these air cooled bikes either.......

Comment

Yeah, I was running on battery alone. I ordered the stator. Arrived today. Bike is still in the shop waiting for someone to fix it.. hopefully they will get to it tomorrow...

Comment

Working...
                      X