yeesh, my bike just left me stranded in the rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeesh, my bike just left me stranded in the rain

I got off for 2 seconds and it wouldnt start... I had a trouble light on me, run/start switch are fine, power to the stuff behind the headlight (what a mess).

Only one I didnt check was power to the stareter solonoid, BUT the wire has perfect continuity.

Going to check out more soon, but I figured out you an just short across the solonoid and it starts just fine (didnt know that).

I was soaked, really late and really reall ****ed.

Nothing looked wet so why would the second it starts raining cause this?

Would it turn over but not fire, or just not do anything at all? I had a plug boot literally disintigrate on me (yeah, it was old, I neglected to change it, so my fault) when i got caught in a rain storm. I guess the wetness getting into the boot, combined with the electrical charge fried it. I pulled it off and parts of it were still attached to the plug...bummer. Ran all the way home on 3 cylinders.

Comment

Ditto

CaffeKid has it right,I had the same problem. 28year old plug boots and rubber seals = not a really good seal, because of the heat and dried out rubbers. I got stranded on my maiden voyage 5 years ago in a downpour and it was due to bad Plug boot rubbers. They are easy to replace and just screw off the plug wires.

Comment

Ya, I agree first thing I did for my bike was to get a nice set of NGK plug caps, the old ones looked their age

Comment

Somebody needs to do a film documentary on this donimo guy.

Comment

Not the plug boots, like I said in the OP I shorted the solonoid and it started just fine, wouldn't do that if the plug boot was shot.

It does nothing, no click nothing.

I went down to try to figure it out and, of course, it works fine so troubleshooting is shot. I did find a perfectly severed oil pressure light wire, resoldered it on there and it seems to work fine now. Not sure why it was cut?

All wires ohm out fine, all connectors look good, nothing is even wet by one drop, everything is bone dry and tight.

I can't have my bike leave me stranded everytime it rains, weird that both times it had JUST started raining, nothing on the bike was even wet by more than a few drops. Is it the humidity?

So solinoid? only think I can think of. has this happened to anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by DPage View Post
              Somebody needs to do a film documentary on this donimo guy.
              sure

sorry if I was a bit dramatic (what I assume you are commenting on) but being stranded on a back road in the pouring rain when I was late coming home already, tends to upset me.

Comment

So, let me get this straight. When you pushed the starter button, nothing happened? but, when you shorted the solenoid it turned over and fired up? So, when you pushed the button did it make any noise at all? If so, I would take my starter switch apart and clean the contacts and check the wire leading to the soleniod for any areas where it could the wire casing is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by donimo View Post
                  sure

sorry if I was a bit dramatic (what I assume you are commenting on) but being stranded on a back road in the pouring rain when I was late coming home already, tends to upset me.
                  Not sure how its set up on your bike but all the Zooks are FAIRLY similar once you get into the 80s models. On the connector that plugs into your fuse block, you will find (provided they used the same colour coding, which on MOST of them they did) an orange wire with a white? maybe red? tracer. This feed power from your ignition switch to the fuse block, and then on to the rest of the bike from there via their particular wires. Over time, that wire gets HOT, and starts to melt the connector in the harness, making it wiggle and jiggle out of place from time to time. Might check that, as what you describe are the symptoms of that particular problem. I had that problem on my 1100ES, and it first cropped up in the middle of a nice fast 80mph curve. Nearly shat myself when the bike when cold stone dead while i was layed over in that turn. Made for a lil squirmage when that weight transfered. I had to stop obviously because the bike had croaked, but once i got it running again, i had to sit for a minute and collect myself...it caused me to pinch some leather...lol

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    i had to sit for a minute and collect myself...it caused me to pinch some leather...lol
                    Aahhh, ... the famous "three-point grip".

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Start/run switch all checked out fine like I said, the only thing I forgot to check was whether the solonoid trigger was getting 12v.

I checked it all later and it was fine of course. I will try to find some time to take apart the wiring harness and check.

But in my head it could only be the solonoid, or the trggier wire as otherwise it wouldnt run when shorted across, if the ignition or run switch was borked it wouldnt run when I did that.

Just not sure how rain factors in, only time it has done this are the only 2 times I have ridden when its raining, too much of a coincidence, but the weird theing is it had JUST started raining both times, bike wasnt even wet, just sprinkled...

My bike doesnt have a fuse block, just harnesses and connectors. I did check them all, no heat marking, connections seem fine. They all tested perfectly when it wasnt working. The first time is started working all on its own after the rain stopped, 2nd time i shorted the solonoid.

when it does it it doesn nothing, no click from the solonoid nothing, but ALL other electrics work 100%, plus it runs when shorted

Comment

It's in the ignition switch or the start button. Rain could just be coincidental.

Comment

The ignition switch and the start button both tested out 100% but the bike still didnt start.

12v present and accounted for, other side of all switches tested 0v and 12v when switched, that isnt the problem.

Comment

Run a ground wire from your solenoid ground to the ground post on your battery, it should work fine. Back to the poor grounding issues again.

Comment

OK I will do that tonight, it tested fine, but it sounds plausible at least. At least it will rule that out.

Comment

Working...
                              X