No announcement yet.

Open letter to the newbies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silverhorse's post has definitely caught my attention. My style is to spare the words and tell the person what the problem is in the most direct style possible. This apparently puts some people off in his view and I'm sure this is true to some extent. I'll try to watch my personal style and keep these comments in mind. Personal style does matter, and we all have our own.
    Last edited by Nessism; 05-07-2009, 09:29 PM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Silverhorse's post has definitely caught my attention. My style is to spare the words and tell the person what the problem is in the most direct style possible. This apparently puts some people off in his view and I'm sure this is true to some extent. Personal style does matter, and we all have our own.
      Some of us don't need any style.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I wish I'd never opened the thread.

I feel a bad for the nooooobs.

Don't get bent out of shape over such silliness, just take a deep breath.. step away from your computer and spend some time with your bike

Nobody need feel under pressure to answer all the questions tossed around. As a few have stated (incl Basscliff) there is a wealth of information available.

A re-jigged banner with a big flashing arrow or ten would help to herd the uninitiated to appropriate FAQ links.

A symptom based FAQ would be likely be the most effective and user friendly.

I myself read every one of the old FAQ's and printed off an indexed hard copy of the most useful ones and a bunch of 'how to' articles while I was waiting for delivery of my beastly, and I use the search function, but still find the need to post queries regarding what are most likely to be existing 'FAQ's'

I have found the search function to be a bit of a hit and miss affair. I have often found that my whiny assed questions have resulted in being directed via links to threads dealing with relevant issues but note that the original thread titles don't often fall within expected search parameters.

Basscliffs site is a blessing (as is Basscliff himself).. in fact if the forum had an angel he would be it.

Anyway I have said my bit now so we can bin this thread now.

Comment

Am I a Newbie?

I signed up to GSR about five years ago. Of course, with the recent site change, my "tenure" was restarted. I guess that makes me a junior senior member. LOL

Bikes currently owned: 1977 GS750B, 1981 GS750E, 1981 GS1100E, 1975 GT750, 1972 T500, 1973 Yamaha RT3, 2002 BMW R1150GS, and a 2005 HD Ultra

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Nessmith View Post
            I signed up to GSR about five years ago. Of course, with the recent site change, my "tenure" was restarted. I guess that makes me a junior senior member. LOL

Bikes currently owned: 1977 GS750B, 1981 GS750E, 1981 GS1100E, 1975 GT750, 1972 T500, 1973 Yamaha RT3, 2002 BMW R1150GS, and a 2005 HD Ultra
            You are far from a newbie Frank! When are you moving my way so that I can view your little GS museum? Wimberley right?

Comment

Wimberley

Well, the plan is to officially relocate sometime this fall. By then I should have moved most of my stuff and my two-wheeled children to their new home. In the meantime, my wife and I will be making intermittent trips to bring stuff down and to work on the place. Hill Country, here I come! We can't wait to become a regulars at Opie's in Spicewood. The Saltlick ain't too bad neither. I can't wait for that post chowdown cruise on good pavement. I need to stop.....I'm getting worked up and starting to drool on the keyboard.

BTW, I still have the V&H pipe for the '77-'79 750 for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Nessmith View Post
                Well, the plan is to officially relocate sometime this fall. By then I should have moved most of my stuff and my two-wheeled children to their new home. In the meantime, my wife and I will be making intermittent trips to bring stuff down and to work on the place. Hill Country, here I come! We can't wait to become a regulars at Opie's in Spicewood. The Saltlick ain't too bad neither. I can't wait for that post chowdown cruise on good pavement. I need to stop.....I'm getting worked up and starting to drool on the keyboard.

BTW, I still have the V&H pipe for the '77-'79 750 for sale.
                Let me kmow when you get settled, maybe I'll have found a 79 750 by then

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  You can tell it's springtime.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                  That's just a crime. Bet that bike hates its owner.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                  X