No announcement yet.

Open letter to the newbies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More threads with pictures and info like the one below would solve a lot of open ended questions...great job Jethro!

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
      BassCliff posted one a while back, I forgot to save it to my photobucket, couldn't find it when I searched............until I search a little more, you'll have to do without, then again, it might have been than JohnWrench guy (or whatever his screen name is)?????, guess I'll just have to find it, edit, and post that picture of such a great group hug.
      Dan, this is for you and jwhelan. You'll have to share it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post

eeewww and covered in vasoline at that...

Comment

I knew all I had to do was mention it, and it would magically appear.....

Comment

That's the way it's going, slowly but surely IMHO. Some of the old grumps seem to resent newbies moving in. At least that's how it seems at times.

I have to call Bull Snot on that one! Damn wannabe Kiwi's. Yeah I know you said " at least thats how it seems at times". heh The bottom line is I will gladly answer any question I can, but keep in mind I dont have all specs for all the GS models floating around in my head. Although I may know the proceedure, I frequently have to look up specifics, so
            I expect to spend more time making a reply than someone does posing a question. If I can take the time to post an answer, please take the time to read it and follow it. No, you cant skip steps 3, 5 and 9 because it will be easier that way. If that makes me a grumpy old fart, all I can say is my bike runs perfectly, hows yours doing?

You're OK Zooks, I know its not your fault you're upside down and lost in the outback. hehe

BTW, having a high post count is somewhat unavoidable after ten years. LOL I may have helped a lot of people or I may have hissed off a lot of people. The ratio probably varies depending on what everyone had for breakfast on a given day. ehe

Earl
            Last edited by earlfor; 05-06-2009, 12:53 PM.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Doesn't look like Ed's request did any good judging by the latest round of questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                Doesn't look like Ed's request did any good judging by the latest round of questions.
                The NB's never used the "Search" to find out that they should first search!

At least the old hands posted some interesting and amusing comments!

Comment

What a great thread. It makes me remember all the times in the last thirty years I've argued with a WAY more experienced mechanic because I was too arrogant, embarrassed or egotistical to admit I hadn't thought something through. Oddly enough it still happens....sometimes even here.

It isn't only the ability to turn a wrench that makes a mechanic.
                  Good mechanics are also thoughtful, introspective and in love with machines. Usually they like to pass this approach on to others.

Some of the newcomers to this site are not mechanics, and likely never will be. Some of the oldtimers on this site are not teachers, and never will be. It doesn't mean that the forum isn't working, but there is some kind of problem. I am not a newbie, but I sometimes feel dissed, and I know others do too. But if I have ever asked for help here, it has been accurately, generously and quickly given. The odd difference in personal style, expectations levels of experience and communication styles are pretty usual with people.

I've been reading this forum for a number of years. Sometimes I post, if I think I have information that might be useful. Lately I've been reluctant to post, because there are a confident and experienced individuals who are fielding all the questions. It has seemed there is a bit less room for just friendly chat about 'how the dohickey works'. To me a thread is like a conversation, and once a person is interacting, their input should be considered. This kind of interaction has become less common of late, and I for one miss it.

I used to be able to take my 1958 volkswagon van to the corner gas station and someone would saunter out, and poke their head into the engine compartment, talk things over with me, and send me on my way. I loved it. That is the way the forum seemed to me, a few years back. Now...things seem to be a little less comradely.
                  This isn't to say the help isn't there. It clearly is. The concern seems to be with the tone of some of the threads. It is indeed very frustrating to go to great lengths to try to help someone out only to have them fly off on some ludicrous tangent. But I think if I had come to the gsresources years ago to be faced with only a search feature and a long list of 'how-to's I likely wouldn't have stuck around. The people are important, and how we treat each other is important.

Noone would go to a brain surgeon and question them about whether their treatment was correct. Why do it here? If you aren't going to do what the brain surgeon tells you to do, why expect him/her to continue to see you? And if you're a brain surgeon...be nice to your new patients, and don't expect them to understand your reality. That takes a lot more time than most people are willing to put in. So let's continue to be polite, respectful and friendly with one another, and more nice bikes will be put to the road.

S.

Comment

Everything i know about motorcycles came from the more experienced members answering my questions all of which have been covered in detail in numerous threads.

I can't thank the memebers or this site enough for helping to get and keep my bike on the road.

Search functions work but it matters more to hear it from someone who is willing to point out our mistakes while we are in the middle of the repair.

Not all of us newbies mind hearing the truth from a veteran. We respect it and look forward to learning from it. So thanks GSResources !

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      Some of us don't want to spoon feed.

That sounds kinky

Comment

I think it depends on the personal "mood" that someone may be in at the time of the post. To that end...some questions deserve the "WTF" and "have you even tried the search function"?

The one thing that all non-mechanically-inclined members need to keep in mind is: you're here to get help...we're here to offer help...you NEED to do the steps suggested, in order, for the advice given to actually work.

Many have been there, done that, and ride daily. If you're not one of them, pay attention in class and you WILL be one shortly.

PLEASE...NO MORE OIL THREADS!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                          I think it depends on the personal "mood" that someone may be in at the time of the post. To that end...some questions deserve the "WTF" and "have you even tried the search function"?

The one thing that all non-mechanically-inclined members need to keep in mind is: you're here to get help...we're here to offer help...you NEED to do the steps suggested, in order, for the advice given to actually work.

Many have been there, done that, and ride daily. If you're not one of them, pay attention in class and you WILL be one shortly.

PLEASE...NO MORE OIL THREADS!
                          I'm suprised you don't use maple syrup up there in MN for oil.
                          Don't ya know
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                            I'm suprised you don't use maple syrup up there in MN for oil.
                            Don't ya know
                            LOL I've seen a few crank cases that you'de swear maple syrup was the only fluid ever used in the engine!

Never buy a used vehicle of any kind, from a roofer...

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                              I have to call Bull Snot on that one! Damn wannabe Kiwi's. Yeah I know you said " at least thats how it seems at times". heh The bottom line is I will gladly answer any question I can, but keep in mind I dont have all specs for all the GS models floating around in my head. Although I may know the proceedure, I frequently have to look up specifics, so
                              I expect to spend more time making a reply than someone does posing a question. If I can take the time to post an answer, please take the time to read it and follow it. No, you cant skip steps 3, 5 and 9 because it will be easier that way. If that makes me a grumpy old fart, all I can say is my bike runs perfectly, hows yours doing?

You're OK Zooks, I know its not your fault you're upside down and lost in the outback. hehe

BTW, having a high post count is somewhat unavoidable after ten years. LOL I may have helped a lot of people or I may have hissed off a lot of people. The ratio probably varies depending on what everyone had for breakfast on a given day. ehe

Earl
                              No problem Gramps. You just go back to your easy chair and slip on your orthopedic shoes in the nice Florida sun and we won't disturb you again.

PS: I'm not going to bite on the 'Kiwi' remark.

Comment

Originally posted by silverhorse47 View Post
                                What a great thread. It makes me remember all the times in the last thirty years I've argued with a WAY more experienced mechanic because I was too arrogant, embarrassed or egotistical to admit I hadn't thought something through. Oddly enough it still happens....sometimes even here.

It isn't only the ability to turn a wrench that makes a mechanic.
                                Good mechanics are also thoughtful, introspective and in love with machines. Usually they like to pass this approach on to others.

Some of the newcomers to this site are not mechanics, and likely never will be. Some of the oldtimers on this site are not teachers, and never will be. It doesn't mean that the forum isn't working, but there is some kind of problem. I am not a newbie, but I sometimes feel dissed, and I know others do too. But if I have ever asked for help here, it has been accurately, generously and quickly given. The odd difference in personal style, expectations levels of experience and communication styles are pretty usual with people.

I've been reading this forum for a number of years. Sometimes I post, if I think I have information that might be useful. Lately I've been reluctant to post, because there are a confident and experienced individuals who are fielding all the questions. It has seemed there is a bit less room for just friendly chat about 'how the dohickey works'. To me a thread is like a conversation, and once a person is interacting, their input should be considered. This kind of interaction has become less common of late, and I for one miss it.

I used to be able to take my 1958 volkswagon van to the corner gas station and someone would saunter out, and poke their head into the engine compartment, talk things over with me, and send me on my way. I loved it. That is the way the forum seemed to me, a few years back. Now...things seem to be a little less comradely.
                                This isn't to say the help isn't there. It clearly is. The concern seems to be with the tone of some of the threads. It is indeed very frustrating to go to great lengths to try to help someone out only to have them fly off on some ludicrous tangent. But I think if I had come to the gsresources years ago to be faced with only a search feature and a long list of 'how-to's I likely wouldn't have stuck around. The people are important, and how we treat each other is important.

Noone would go to a brain surgeon and question them about whether their treatment was correct. Why do it here? If you aren't going to do what the brain surgeon tells you to do, why expect him/her to continue to see you? And if you're a brain surgeon...be nice to your new patients, and don't expect them to understand your reality. That takes a lot more time than most people are willing to put in. So let's continue to be polite, respectful and friendly with one another, and more nice bikes will be put to the road.

S.
                                Top post silverhorse.

I think there's a lot in what you said there if people dissect it a little.

Comment

Working...
                                X