Starter not engaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark,
    yea the subject has come up before but to tell you the truth I would not want to send my puller out. It cost me $40 for the tool and another $50 for a drill/tap to enlarge the hole for the bolt after I stripped it. So now it is a custom $90 tool. The rotor is usually put on with something the equivalent of Red loctite so you need to heat to 400 degF to soften it, even then takes a lot of force and you can destroy the tool.

Most of the tools are reasonably inexpensive, or through ingenuity there are various alternatives which is an amazing thing in itself. I am amazed at what some people do to keep the cost down rather than running to the store every time they need something (like me).

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      Most of the tools are reasonably inexpensive, or through ingenuity there are various alternatives which is an amazing thing in itself. I am amazed at what some people do to keep the cost down rather than running to the store every time they need something (like me).

Jim
      I am with you on just buying tools... My wife likes shoes, I like tools. But I have tried to cut back.

Bypassing that effort, I just ordered the MP-29 tool that should fit my engine. It was $56 shipped from PowersportSuperstore.com. Now I am off to Harbor Freight to pickup one of their parts washers they have on sale. On that note, they have a buffer/grinder combo that is great!! I was planning to have alot of things re-chromed, but this thing will probably let me get away with just polishing parts.

Tools... Its a sickness.

Comment

I am with you on just buying tools... My wife likes shoes, I like tools. But I have tried to cut back.
        My wife now calls her stuff in the kitchen "her tools".

Good luck.

Jim

Comment

As an update:

I received the clutch removal tool. I don't know if they redesigned/upgraded it but there is a good inch of thread and it it all hardened so I doubt I could even torque it enough to strip the threads.

Anyway, my trusty 3' cheater bar made short work of removing the whole thing.

My bolts are sheared off, which would stop the starter from working...

Replace the bolts then I will see what kind of compression this thing creates.

Comment

Good to hear; make sure you use red lock tite on threads and tapered shaft when you put it back on.

Comment

Working...
            X